Supported editions for this feature: Business Starter, Standard, and Plus; Enterprise; Education and Enterprise for Education; Nonprofits; G Suite Basic and Business; Essentials. Compare your edition
If you have Essentials edition, you can only migrate contacts. You can't migrate email or calendar data.
The data migration service is a free product offered by Google that helps you migrate email, calendar, or contact data. Administrators can use the Google Admin console to migrate this data to Google Workspace.
The data migration service offers the following benefits:
- No application to install—you control everything in the Admin console.
- A simple, self-guided setup and migration process.
- Most mail servers can automatically connect.
- If you rerun a migration, email messages and calendar events already migrated are not duplicated.
You can use the data migration service to migrate the following data:
Note: Migration of calendar events and contact data is only available when migrating from Microsoft Exchange or Microsoft Exchange Online (Microsoft Office 365). When migrating from IMAP, Google Workspace, or Gmail, the data migration service works for email and label migration only.
How many users can I migrate?
The data migration service migrates content for a maximum of 100 users.
There are several items to consider before using the data migration service:
- Migration can only occur from a single-source server to Google Workspace.
- In a single migration from Exchange or Exchange Online, you can migrate email, calendar, or contact data, but you can't migrate 2 or more of them at the same time. Migrate them individually in separate migrations.
- You must add your users to your new domain before you migrate data. The data migration service only migrates data to accounts of existing users. It doesn't create users from the data it migrates. Learn more
- The data migration service requires your source environment to have a TLS certificate. A third-party root certificate authority must sign and trust the certificate. If your email server has a self-signed certificate, you cannot use the data migration service. Learn more
- If you're migrating from Exchange or Exchange Online, you need to open the Exchange Web Services (EWS) ports on your source environment server. Learn more
- If you're migrating from Exchange or an IMAP server, you must set up a role account on the mail server you’re migrating from. You might also need to grant impersonation rights to allow you to use the permissions associated with another user's Exchange account. Learn more
- It does not support migrating shared or public IMAP email folders.
For more queries, go to Data migration service FAQs.
Important: If your migration has complex requirements or if you need detailed logs for in-depth troubleshooting, the data migration service might not be right for your migration. Use the Google Workspace migration product matrix to help you choose the right product for your source data.
You or your users decide whether smart features in Gmail, Chat, and Meet, and personalization features in other Google products, can use data from Gmail, Chat, and Meet. You can configure these settings for users, and users can always choose their own settings. Learn more about Smart features and personalization.
Note: To use smart features and personalization after a data migration, they must be on before the migration or several core Gmail features such as auto sorting will not work.
Ready to begin?
- Migrate your organization’s data to Google Workspace
- Google Workspace migration product matrix
- Transfer data between Google Workspace accounts
Google, Google Workspace, and related marks and logos are trademarks of Google LLC. All other company and product names are trademarks of the companies with which they are associated.