Turn Gmail on or off for users
As a Google Apps administrator, you can control who uses Gmail in your organization. Just turn Gmail on or off for those people in your Google Admin console. People who have Gmail turned on can see the service in their account. If you've also set up mailflow for your domain, they can use Gmail to send mail with your organization's address.
To control who uses Gmail in your organization
Before you begin: To turn the service on or off for select groups of users, put their accounts in an organizational unit.
Sign in to your Google Admin console.
Sign in using your administrator account (does not end in @gmail.com).
- From the Admin console dashboard, go to Apps > Google Apps > Gmail.
- At the top of the gray box, click and choose:
- On for everyone to turn on the service for all users (click again to confirm).
- Off to turn off the service for all users (click again to confirm).
- On for some organizations to change the setting only for some users.
- If you chose On for some organizations:
- Select the organization that contains the users whose settings you want to change.
- Click Override or Inherit, whichever is showing.
- Click On or Off to change the setting.
- Click Apply. Then click again to confirm.
Learn more about the organizational structure.
- Click Apply.
You're not done with Gmail setup yet
Turning on the Gmail service doesn't make mail start flowing to people's Gmail accounts. You must first give everyone a user account, then switch your mail flow to Google Apps.
For complete setup steps, see Set up Gmail for your team.