Turn Gmail on or off for a group of users
Note: The following instructions are for turning Gmail on or off for a group of users. To turn the Gmail service off for your entire domain, see Turn Gmail service Off for your domain.
As a G Suite administrator, you can control who uses Gmail in your organization. Just turn Gmail on or off for those people in your Google Admin console. People who have Gmail turned on can see the service in their account. If you've also set up mail flow for your domain, they can use Gmail to send mail with your organization's address.
To control who uses Gmail in your organization
Before you begin: To turn the service on or off for select groups of users, put their accounts in an organizational unit.
- From the Admin console dashboard, go to AppsG SuiteGmail.
- At the top of the gray box, click More and choose:
- On for everyone to turn on the service for all users (click again to confirm).
- Off to turn off the service for all users (click again to confirm).
- On for some organizations to change the setting only for some users.
- If you chose On for some organizations:
- Select the organization that contains the users whose settings you want to change.
- Click Override or Inherit, whichever appears.
Override makes the setting stay the same, even if the parent setting changes.
Inherit reverts to the same setting as its parent.
- If you clicked Override, click On or Off to change the setting.
- Click Apply twice to confirm.
Learn more about the organizational structure.
- Click Apply.
You're not done with Gmail setup yet
Turning on the Gmail service doesn't make mail start flowing to people's Gmail accounts. You must first give everyone a user account, then switch your mail flow to G Suite.
For complete setup steps, see Set up Gmail for your team.
- Control who can access Google services
- Opt in to new services (to turn new services on or off by default)
- G Suite for Education Core and Additional services