Turn Gmail on or off for users
As a Google Apps administrator, you can control who uses Gmail in your organization. Just turn Gmail on or off for those people in your Google Admin console. People who have Gmail turned on can see the service in their account. If you've also set up mailflow for your domain, they can use Gmail to send mail with your organization's address.
To control who uses Gmail in your organization
Before you begin: To turn service on or off only for some users, put their accounts in an organizational unit.
Sign in to your
Google Admin console.
Sign in using your administrator account (does not end in @gmail.com).
- From the Admin console dashboard, go to Apps > Google Apps > Gmail.
On the service's settings page, click (top of gray box) and choose one of these settings:
- On for everyone to turn on service for all users.
- Off to turn off service for all users.
- On for some organizations to customize the On/Off setting for different users.
- If you choose On for some organizations, a window opens where you should:
- Select the organization (org) containing the users whose settings you want to change.
- Click Override or Inherit, whichever is showing.
- Click to change the setting from On to Off (or vice versa).
Questions? Learn more about the organizational structure.
- Click Apply.
You're not done with Gmail setup yet
Turning on the Gmail service doesn't make mail start flowing to people's Gmail accounts. You must first give everyone a user account, then switch your mail flow to Google Apps.
For complete setup steps, see Set up Gmail for your team.