Turn Gmail on or off for a group of users
These instructions are for turning Gmail on or off for some users. Read more about completely removing the Gmail service from your Admin console.
As a G Suite administrator, you can control who uses Gmail in your organization. Just turn Gmail on or off for those people in your Google Admin console. People who have Gmail turned on can see the service in their account. If you've also set up mail flow for your domain, they can use Gmail to send mail with your organization's address.
To control who uses Gmail in your organization
Before you begin: To turn the service on or off for select groups of users, put their accounts in an organizational unit.
- From the Admin console Home page, go to AppsG SuiteGmail.
At the top of the gray box, click More and choose:
- On for everyone to turn on the service for all users (click again to confirm).
- Off for everyone to turn off the service for all users (click again to confirm).
- On for some organizations to change the setting only for some users.
If you chose On for some organizations:
- In the left panel, select Settings for specific organizational units.
- Select the organization that contains the users whose settings you want to change.
- Select On or Off to change the setting.
- Click Override to keep the setting the same, even if the parent setting changes.
- If the organization's status is already Overridden, choose an option:
- Inherit—Reverts to the same setting as its parent.
- Save—Saves your new setting (even if the parent setting changes).
Learn more about the organizational structure.
You're not done with Gmail setup yet
Turning on the Gmail service doesn't make mail start flowing to people's Gmail accounts. You must first give everyone a user account, then switch your mail flow to G Suite.
For complete setup steps, see Set up Gmail for your team.
- Control who can access Google services
- Opt in to new services (to turn new services on or off by default)
- G Suite for Education Core and Additional services