Find messages with Email Log Search
You can search for sent and received messages using Email Log Search. You can tailor your search using specific criteria, including email or IP address, or message ID header. For example, if you search by the email address of the recipient, you'll only see the delivery events associated with that user, not everyone in the thread.
For the best search results, be sure to select the most restrictive date and time range, and enter only 1 sender or recipient.
Note: You might need to wait up to an hour for the search results to display.
Learn more about using the tool.
Available only for G Suite Business and G Suite. Tool not available to resellers when accessing a resold domain Admin console using the reseller console.
- Sign in to the Google Admin console.
- Click Reports.
- On the left, click Audit Email Log Search.
- Select a date range using the drop-down list, or specify a range using the calendar. The range is limited to the last 30 days.
- (Optional) If you specify a date range and also want to specify a time range, enter a different start and end time for the date range. The times shown represent the time zone of the computer you're using to sign in to the Admin console and run the reports.
- (Optional) Enter search criteria in any of the following fields:
- Sender and Recipient—Enter sender's or recipient's complete or partial email address.
- Sender IP and Recipient IP—Enter the sender or recipient IP address. Make sure it's the exact IP address, or the request will fail.
- Message ID—Enter the unique message identifier located in the message header. If you enter a message ID and specify a time range (as described in step 5), the search overrides the time range and returns results for all days of the message ID.
See Message headers for instructions on finding message headers for different mail providers.
- Click Search. The query can take a couple of minutes to execute.
Note: The search returns the first 1000 messages that match the criteria.
In the search results list, you can:
- Use the arrows at the top of the list to navigate through the pages of results.
- Download your search results, or export them to Google Sheets by clicking Download at the top. You'll only see Download if the results return exportable data. Depending on the amount of data, it can take awhile before the file is ready to open. If you download the results as a CSV file, you can choose the spreadsheet editor you want to use.
Click a subject or message ID to see the message details. Learn about viewing Email Log Search result details.