Manage your organization's mobile devices
If you have the legacy free edition of Google Apps, upgrade to G Suite to get this feature.
You can use Google Mobile Management to manage, secure, and monitor mobile devices in your organization. You can manage a range of devices, including phones, tablets, and smartwatches. People in your organization can use their personal devices for work (BYOD), or you can give them company-owned devices to use.
There are 2 levels of mobile management—basic and advanced. Each level of management gives you a different set of features. Some advanced features, such as mobile auditing and rules aren’t available in all editions. For details, see Compare mobile management features.
Basic mobile management
With basic management, you can keep corporate data safe by requiring that mobile devices have a screen lock or password. You can also wipe corporate information from devices if they’re lost or stolen. You see a list of devices that are accessing corporate data in the Google Admin console.
You don’t need to do anything to turn on basic management—it’s on by default. If you turned it off, see Set up basic mobile device management. Users don’t need to install anything on their device for you to manage it. They just sign in with their corporate email address on their device.
Note: Basic mobile management might not be on by default for some accounts. For details, see Stay secure with default-on mobile management.
Advanced mobile management
If you want more control over mobile devices that access your organization’s data, use advanced management. You can:
- Enforce stronger device passwords.
- Make your preferred work apps available to users in a catalog of recommended apps (Android and iOS).
- Keep work and personal apps separate on Android devices with a work profile.
- Restrict access to device settings and features, such as mobile networks, Wi-Fi, screen captures, and more.
- Monitor compliance with policies you set, and get reports about users, devices, and OS versions.
- To learn how to turn on advanced management, see Set up advanced mobile management.