Video thumbnails let viewers see a quick snapshot of your video. You can choose from the options YouTube automatically generates or (if your account is verified) you can upload a custom thumbnail.
Add custom or automatic thumbnails
- In the YouTube Studio app, tap Videos .
- Select the video you want to edit the thumbnail for.
- Tap Edit .
- Tap the existing thumbnail image.
- Select your thumbnail from one of 2 options:
- Tap Custom thumbnail to upload a custom video thumbnail from an image on your device.
- Select one of 3 autogenerated thumbnails.
- Confirm your thumbnail selection and tap Select.
- Tap Save.
Custom thumbnail best practices
Your custom thumbnail image should be as large as possible since it will also be used as the preview image in the embedded player.
- 1280x720 resolution (with minimum width of 640 pixels)
- JPG, GIF, BMP, or PNG image formats
- Under the 2MB limit
- 16:9 aspect ratio
There's a limit to how many custom thumbnails a channel can upload each day. If you get an error saying “Daily custom thumbnail limit reached” when trying to upload a thumbnail, try again in 24 hours.
Limits may vary by country/region or channel history. Copyright strikes may impact channel history eligibility. Community Guidelines strikes will affect how much you can upload.