Add thumbnail to video
Video thumbnails let viewers see a quick snapshot of your video. You can choose from the options YouTube automatically generates or (if your account is verified) you can upload a custom thumbnail.
Add custom or automatic thumbnails
- In the YouTube Studio app, tap Menu then Videos.
- Select the video you want to edit the thumbnail for.
- Tap Edit .
- Tap Edit thumbnail.
- Select your thumbnail:
- Tap Custom thumbnail to upload a custom video thumbnail from an image on your device.
- Select one of three auto-generated thumbnails.
- Confirm your thumbnail selection and tap Select.
- Tap Save.
Custom thumbnail best practices
Your custom thumbnail image should be as large as possible since the image will also be used as the preview image in the embedded player.
- 1280x720 resolution (with minimum width of 640 pixels)
- JPG, GIF, BMP, or PNG image formats
- Under the 2MB limit
- 16:9 aspect ratio