Video thumbnails let your audience view a quick snapshot of your video. You can choose from the options YouTube automatically generates, or you can upload your own if your account is verified.
Add automatic or custom thumbnails
- Open the YouTube Studio app .
- From the bottom menu, tap Content .
- Select the video you want to edit.
- Tap Edit Edit thumbnail .
- Select an auto-generated thumbnail or tap Custom thumbnail to create a custom video thumbnail from an image on your device.
- Confirm your thumbnail selection and tap SELECT.
- Tap SAVE.
Custom thumbnail best practices
Image size resolution
Your custom thumbnail image should be as large as possible since it will also be used as the preview image in the embedded player.
- 1280x720 resolution (with minimum width of 640 pixels)
- JPG, GIF, BMP, or PNG image formats
- Under the 2MB limit
- 16:9 aspect ratio
All custom thumbnail images must follow our Community Guidelines. Your thumbnails may be rejected and a strike on your account when it contains:
- Nudity or sexually provocative content
- Hate Speech
- Harmful or dangerous content
Repeat offenses may lead to the removal of your custom thumbnail privileges for 30 days or even account termination. Learn more about Community Guidelines strikes.
There's a limit to how many custom thumbnails a channel can upload each day. If you get an error saying “Daily custom thumbnail limit reached” when trying to upload a thumbnail, try again in 24 hours.
Limits may vary by country/region or channel history. Copyright strikes may impact channel history eligibility. Community Guidelines strikes will affect how much you can upload.