YouTube is a place where people come to share their story, express an opinion and engage with one another. We want to make sure that creators and viewers feel safe doing so. While the majority of YouTube's creators and viewers want to share, learn and connect, we know there are instances of abuse, or even harassment. Learn more about the policies and tools that are in place to protect you on YouTube below.
Policies on hate and harassment
YouTube has specific policies to help protect against hate and harassment.
- Hate speech: This policy protects specific groups and members of those groups. We consider content to be hate speech when it incites hatred or violence against groups based on protected attributes such as age, gender, race, caste, religion, sexual orientation or veteran status. Learn more on our hate speech policy.
- Harassment: This policy protects specific individuals. We consider content to be harassment when it targets an individual with prolonged or malicious insults based on intrinsic attributes, including their protected group status or physical traits. This also includes harmful behaviour such as threats, bullying, doxxing or encouraging abusive fan behaviour. Learn more on our harassment policy.
Tools to keep you safe
We want you to feel safe when you're on YouTube. That's why we encourage you to use the various tools available to help protect you against hate and harassment.
Important: If you believe that you're in danger and/or you feel unsafe, please contact your local law enforcement.
Report inappropriate or abusive content or users
- Report abuse and inappropriate content
- Report a privacy violation
- Report impersonations of you or your channel
- Report blackmail attempts
Block inappropriate or abusive comments, content or users
- Block commenters
- Block comments
- Block specific words in comments
- Hold comments for review
- Block ads from your channel
- Block other viewers on live chat
- Remove recommended videos
Protect your account from hijacking or identity theft
- Secure your account
- Turn on 2-Step Verification
- Manage your privacy settings
- Protect your identity
- Fix a hijacked account
- Avoid phishing
- Avoid Google scams
- Visit the Google Safety Centre
Trusted partner resources for online safety (US Only)