Turning on YouTube's DVR feature lets your viewers pause, rewind and continue during the live stream. Once a viewer resumes playing, the live stream will continue from where they hit pause. To turn on DVR, follow these steps:
- Go to YouTube Studio.
- Click Create Go live.
- Start a live stream now from the Stream tab or schedule a live stream from the Manage tab.
- From the stream dashboard, click Enable DVR.
If your live stream becomes very long, your viewers will only be able to rewind up to a limit. They'll be able to seek back up to 12 hours on most devices.
- Two hours for low-latency and ultra-low-latency streams.
- Four hours for normal-latency streams.
- Viewing on Apple TV, Apple AirPlay or older app versions are subject to lower limits
These limits also apply when a viewer uses pause and resume. Viewers can never seek back to before you went live.
If you choose to disable DVR, viewers cannot seek back while you are streaming, but viewers can still see a recording of your entire stream once it is available. Disabling DVR is not supported for webcam and mobile streaming.
If you change your mind about DVR after going live, you can still enable or disable while live streaming. However, the changes will only apply to viewers who start playing your stream after you make the change.