Check that your membership hasn't expired
Make sure that your YouTube Premium membership has not expired. In the YouTube app, tap your profile picture Paid memberships and scroll down to Manage.If you've recently lost access to YouTube Premium and then re-subscribed, note that it will take a few hours for saved videos to become available again once you've re-subscribed. If you need to watch a video straight away, tap More and select Retry download.
Check YouTube Premium availability in your location
Check your background playback settings
Update your YouTube app
Make sure that you're using the latest version of the YouTube app. Visit your device's app store and check if you have any pending updates for the YouTube app.
If you have a new phone or you've recently restored your phone, it may include an old version of the YouTube app (versions below 12.0 are considered outdated).
Check your phone's mobile data settings
Additional steps to try
Verify that no other apps are playing audio
Restart the YouTube app or reboot your device
Check the strength of your Internet connection
Check your phone's notification settings
Contact support and submit product feedback
- Please specify whether the sound stops right when you leave the app, or whether it plays for some time but then stops unexpectedly.
- Please specify any error messages that you see when you return to the app.
- You can also submit feedback about your issue. You won't get a response, but your feedback will be shared with YouTube.
- To do this, select your profile photo Feedback in YouTube.
- Make sure that you tick the box for 'System logs'. This helps us better understand your issue.