- Ask viewers to check their settings. Viewer notification settings cause almost all notification issues. Ask viewers to use the notifications troubleshooter if they aren't getting notifications.
- Notify subscribers when uploading videos. When uploading a video, keep the box next to 'Publish to Subscriptions feed and notify subscribers' on the 'Advanced settings' tab ticked.
- Check how often you've posted in the last 24 hours. Viewers can get a maximum of three new video notifications from each channel in a 24-hour period. Read more about notification limits below.
- Avoid publishing videos in bulk. If you publish more than three videos in a short time period, we may temporarily stop sending notifications for 24 hours. Publishing videos in bulk can overwhelm subscribers and our notification systems. This hold happens even if all but one video is opted out of sending notifications. If you upload a few videos at a time, try uploading them as 'Private' first. You can then publish each video at different times.
- Keep videos public after publishing. It typically takes 10–20 minutes for all notifications to be sent. If you quickly change your video's privacy setting to 'Private' after publishing, we'll stop sending notifications.
- Check if your subscriber count changed drastically just before publishing your video. In these situations, we'll tell all eligible subscribers but it may seem like less than 100% of subscribers were told due to reporting delays.
- Check for known issues. In rare instances, there may be issues with delivering notifications. To learn if these issues are happening, check the Known Issues section of the Help Centre or the TeamYouTube Twitter handle.
- Send feedback. If you've checked all of the above and subscribers still aren't getting notifications, send us feedback.
Learn more about notifications
Watch the following video from TeamYouTube for more info on notifications.
How often can I notify subscribers?
- Viewers can get a maximum of three notifications from each channel in a 24-hour period. These notifications include video uploads, live streams and premieres.
- You can only send one Community post notification in a three-day period.
Why are there notification limits on new videos?
Why are some subscribers getting notifications hours after I publish my video?
What does 'Personalised' notifications mean?
Why does YouTube have a 'Personalised' setting? Why not send all notifications?
How do live stream notifications work?
- Turned on 'All notifications' for your channel and
- Have turned on YouTube notifications for their account and device
If you're using an encoder, notifications are sent to these subscribers after your live stream is made public and we detect that you're Live. For instance, if your live stream is public but we haven't received ingestion from your encoder that you're Live, we won't send notifications.
Why are there multiple viewer notification settings?
On the YouTube app or website:
- Account notification settings on a computer: on a computer, viewers can control whether they get email updates and computer notifications from YouTube by going to Settings Notifications. They can also choose whether to get notifications from individual channels as email updates, notifications, both or neither.
- Account notification settings on mobile: on a mobile device, viewers can turn notifications from subscriptions on or off by going to Settings Notifications.
- Subscription manager on a computer: subscribers can turn off notifications for individual channels from the subscription manager on a computer.
- Channel settings on mobile: on mobile, viewers can use the Channel settings page under Settings Notifications Channel settings to turn off notifications for individual channels.
On your device:
- Device notification settings: On a mobile device, viewers can turn off YouTube notifications in their device settings. These settings override any YouTube app and account settings.
- Chrome notification settings: On a computer, Chrome users can turn off Chrome notifications in their settings. This setting overrides the YouTube setting for Chrome notifications.