Video thumbnails let your audience view a quick snapshot of your video. You can choose from the options that YouTube automatically generates or upload your own if your account is verified. Make sure that your thumbnail follows our Community Guidelines.
You can also add thumbnails in the YouTube Studio app on your mobile device.
Add automatic or customised thumbnails
- Sign in to YouTube Studio.
- From the left-hand menu, select Content.
- Click the video that you'd like to edit.
- Select an auto-generated thumbnail or click Upload thumbnail to create a custom video thumbnail from an image on your device.
- Click SAVE.
Watch how to add a customised video thumbnail
Watch the following video from the YouTube Creators channel if you'd like a tutorial on how to add a customised video thumbnail on YouTube.
Customised thumbnail best practices
Your customised thumbnail image should be as large as possible. It will be used as the preview image in the embedded player. We recommend that your customised thumbnails:
- Have a resolution of 1,280 x 720 (with a minimum width of 640 pixels)
- Be uploaded in image formats such as JPG, GIF or PNG
- Remain under 2 MB for videos or 10 MB for podcasts
- Try to use a 16:9 aspect ratio as it's the most used in YouTube players and previews.
- For podcast playlists, upload a thumbnail with an aspect ratio of 1:1 instead of 16:9 (1,280 x 1,280 pixels).
- Nudity or sexually provocative content
- Hate speech
- Harmful or dangerous content