There are several ways to influence these recommendations and search results. You can remove specific videos from your watch history and searches from your search history. You can also pause your watch and search history, or start fresh by clearing your watch and search history.
Watch history and search history
- Remove individual videos from your watch history: If you notice recommendations on a subject that you're not interested in, try removing a video that you've previously watched on that topic. It may reduce the chance of similar recommendations in the future.
- Remove individual searches from your search history: If you notice recommendations on a subject that you're not interested in, try removing a previous search on that topic. It may reduce the chance of similar recommendations in the future.
- Pause history: You can pause your watch or search history when you don't want your watches or searches to influence future recommendations and search results. For example, when you're researching a subject for a school project that you aren't personally interested in. Remember to resume your history when you've finished.
- Clear history: If your entire watch and search histories are no longer relevant to your interests, you can clear your watch and search histories. Tip: If you want to use your watch history to rewatch some videos, try adding those videos to a playlist or 'Watch later' to find them again easily.
Tune your recommendations
Choose topics in your recommendations
If you're signed in, you'll notice topics on Home and on watch pages to help you refine your recommendations. These topics are based on your existing, personalised suggestions. The topics are also based on content related to what you interact with. These topics are meant to help you to find content that you want to watch faster.
If you find a video that isn't related to the topic that you've chosen on Home, let us know by tapping More and then 'Not <topic>'.
Remove recommended content from homepage
If you aren't able to follow these instructions, it's likely that you're using the old version of YouTube. If you're using a newer browser, update to the current version of YouTube.
The following recommended content can be removed from the homepage on your computer:
To remove a recommended video from your homepage:
- Point to the recommended video or the X for a section that you'd like to remove.
- Select More next to the title of the video or playlist.
- Select Not interested to remove the video from your feed.
You can also make sure that videos from specific channels don't appear in your recommendations. Select the Menu, and then 'Don't recommend channel'.
Clear 'Not interested' and 'Don't recommend channel' feedback
Your 'Not interested' and 'Don't recommend channel' feedback may be used to tune your recommendations. To clear all of the 'Not interested' and 'Don't recommend channel' feedback that you've submitted:
- Go to My Activity. You might need to sign in to your Google Account.
- Find Other Google activity in the left-hand menu or under the My Activity banner.
- Select 'YouTube "Not interested" feedback', then select Delete.
View our other articles for more info about watch history, search history and improving your recommendations.
Recommendations using your Google activity
YouTube uses data from your Google account activity to influence your recommendations.
Manage playlists and liked videos
Your recommendations and search results are also based on videos that you've liked and playlists that you've created. You can remove liked videos and edit or delete playlists to influence your recommendations and search results.