Add cards to videos
You can use cards to add interactivity to your videos. Cards can point viewers to a specific URL (from a list of eligible sites) and show customised images, titles and calls to action, depending on the card type.
Add cards to a videoAdd cards to a video
You can add up to five cards to one video.
- On a computer signed in to your account, go to your Video Manager.
- Find the video that you want to add cards to and select Edit.
- In the tab bar at the top, select Cards.
- Select Add card and choose what type of card you want. Channel cards
Link to a channel that you'd like to make known to your viewers. For example, you can use this type of card to thank the channel for their contribution to your video or for a general recommendation.
Creators in the United States who want to fundraise for a US non-profit organisation can raise funds by putting YouTube donation cards on their videos.Access to creator featuresNote that your channel currently needs to be in the YouTube Partner Programme (YPP) in order to access certain features, such as end screens and cards that link to associated websites, crowdfunding or merchandise sites.When YPP eligibility requirements are updated on 20 February 2018, channels that currently have access to these features will continue to have access even if they're no longer in the YPP. We'll be building out new eligibility criteria for this external linking feature. Get more information in our YPP FAQ.
Associated website cards
Link directly to your associated website from your video. You need to add an associated website to your account to use this card.
Link viewers directly to your creative projects on one of these approved crowdfunding URLs.
Promote licensed merchandise directly from your video. Make sure that your URL is on the list of approved retailer URLs.
Engage with your viewers by presenting them with a poll and let them vote on different options. Learn how to use cards to poll your viewers.
Link to another public YouTube video or playlist that viewers might be interested in. You can also link to a specific time in a video or to an individual video in a playlist by entering a video or playlist URL directly.
- Next to the type of card that you want to add, select Create.
- If you haven't done so previously, for some link types select Enable first to accept the Terms & Conditions.
- Enter the URL where you want viewers to be sent from the card.
- Upload an image or select one of the suggestions from the site if applicable. Uploads need to be in .jpg, .gif or .png format and no larger than 5 MB. Bear in mind that this image will be cropped to square.
- If applicable, edit the title, call to action and any other text (up to 30 characters). You can adjust the start time for the card teaser in the timeline below the video.
- Select Create card.
If you need to edit your cards in the future, just go to the Cards tab and select Edit next to the card that you want to change.
You can use the Cards Report in YouTube Analytics to get performance reporting for cards.
Cards are designed to complement videos and enhance the viewer experience with contextually relevant information. As the system evolves, we plan to optimise it to surface the most relevant teasers and cards based on performance, viewer behaviour and the device that they are using.
How viewers get to cards
- When a viewer is watching your video, they'll see a teaser for the time that you designate.
- When the teaser isn't showing, viewers can hover over the player on desktop or whenever the player controls are showing on mobile and see the card icon .
- When they click the teaser or the icon, they'll be able to browse all of the cards on the video.
How cards show on videos
Cards are shown on the right-hand side of the video on desktop and below the video on mobile. If there are multiple cards on a video, viewers can scroll through them while the video is playing.