If a YouTube channel is linked to a Brand Account, multiple users can manage the channel from their Google Accounts. You don't need a separate username or password to manage YouTube channels with a Brand Account. A Brand Account can be linked to a YouTube channel but not other Google Services.
First, check if your channel is connected to a Brand Account. If it’s not, you can change channel owners and managers by following the instructions to add or remove access to your YouTube channel.
Troubleshoot adding roles to Brand Accounts
Using channel permissions is an option if you want to have multiple people manage your channel without giving them access to your Google Account. Channel permissions also allow for more granular levels of access.
If you would like to use Brand Account roles that give users access to your Google Account but are having trouble adding others to your Brand Account, you may need to opt out of channel permissions and opt back in later. To switch back to your Brand Account, you must invite everyone to the Brand Account again.
To opt out, select “Opt out of permissions in YouTube Studio” under YouTube Studio's Settings Permissions. Learn more about how to opt out of channel permissions.
View or add roles to your Brand Account
It’s important to grant the appropriate access level to users to avoid security issues. Avoid unsafe practices like sharing passwords.
It’s the channel owner's responsibility to know their Brand Account’s ownership details. It’s recommended that you regularly check Brand Account permissions to maintain account security.
The primary owner of the Brand Account can also decide to use channel permissions in YouTube Studio. Learn about the differences between roles in channel permissions and Brand Accounts.
To find out who manages your Brand Account:
- Go to the Brand Accounts section of your Google Account.
- Under "Your Brand Accounts," select the account you want to view.
- Select Manage permissions. You'll find a list of people who can manage the account, including owners.
To invite new people to your Brand Account:
- To invite new people, choose Invite new users .
- Enter their email addresses.
- Below their names, choose their role:
- Owners can take the most actions, and they control who manages the account. An account must have one primary owner.
- Managers can use Google services that support Brand Accounts (for example, sharing photos on Google Photos or posting videos on YouTube).
- Communications managers can do the same actions as Managers, but they can't use YouTube.
- Tap Invite Done.
Anyone you invite will get an email where they can accept your invitation.
Set yourself as primary owner of your Brand Account
In addition to having one primary owner on the Brand Account, it’s recommended that you have at least one other owner associated with your Brand Account.
If you can't designate a new primary owner, verify that you’re opted out of channel permissions. Managers will not have the option to change the primary owner role.
- On your computer, go to the Brand Accounts section of your Google Account.
- Under "Your Brand Accounts," select the account you want to manage.
- Click Manage permissions.
- Find your name listed.
- Tip: If you can’t find your name, you must be added as an owner by another channel owner. After accepting the invite and waiting 7 days, try again from step 1.
- Next to your name, click the down arrow Primary owner Transfer.