Manage YouTube notifications
YouTube notifications let you know when there are new videos and updates from your favorite channels and other content. We'll send you notifications for channels you're subscribed to and may also send notifications based on your interests. You can use the instructions below to adjust your notifications or turn them off completely.
Note: Notification settings may differ slightly by device.
Difference between Notifications and Subscriptions Feed
Subscriptions feed, available on both mobile and desktop, is where you can see all recently uploaded videos from your subscriptions.
Notifications let you know when there are new videos and updates from your subscriptions via email push notifications on mobile, or inbox notifications on desktop. When you subscribe to a channel, you’ll automatically get personalized notifications with highlights of activity.
To get all notifications from a subscribed channel, tap the bell icon . The icon will then change to a ringing bell icon to indicate that you've selected all notifications.
What the notification bells mean for channel subscriptions
Personalized notifications (Default)
Change notification and bell icon settings
When you subscribe to a channel, you'll automatically get notifications with highlights of its activity and see all new videos in your Subscriptions feed. You can change your notification settings to let you know every time a channel publishes content or turn them off completely.
Get updates from a channel when you subscribe to it:
- Go to the channel page or watch page.
- If you're not subscribed, tap Subscribe. When you subscribe to a channel, you’ll automatically get personalized notifications.
- Next to "Subscribe," tap the bell icon .
- Tap Options at the bottom of the screen to choose between receiving all, personalized, or no notifications.
- All - You’ll receive notifications for all uploads and live streams.
- Personalized - You’ll receive notifications for some uploads and live streams. The definition of 'personalized' differs by user. YouTube uses signals such as your watch history, how frequently you watch videos from the channel, how popular certain videos are, and how often you open notifications to decide when to send you a notification.
- None - You won't receive any notifications from this channel.
Check your notifications
Manage your notification settings across channels
- Go to the Subscriptions tab .
- At the top of the page, tap All.
- At the top of the page, tap Manage.
- Tap the bell next to each channel to manage notifications.
Select type of notifications you want to receive
- At the top of your screen, go to your profile picture .
- Tap Settings .
- Tap Notifications.
- Tap Turn on and follow the on-screen prompts.
- Make sure that YouTube notifications are enabled in the Settings app.
- Go to your device's Settings app.
- Select Apps & notifications and go to Notifications.
- Scroll down and tap YouTube.
- Turn the setting to On.
- In the YouTube app, choose what notifications you want to get:
- Recommended videos: Get notifications about recommendations based on what you watch.
- Subscriptions: Choose whether you want to receive notifications from channels you’re subscribed to.
- Activity on my channel or other channels: Get notifications about comments and other activity on your channel or videos.
- Activity or replies to your comments: Get notifications about replies to your comments.
- Scheduled Digest: Get notifications as a daily digest.
Notifications for Recommended Content
You may occasionally get Recommended video notifications for videos you might like, even if you're not subscribed to the channel. To turn these notifications on or off, follow the instructions below.
- Go to your profile picture .
- Tap Settings .
- Tap Notifications.
- Toggle Recommended videos on or off.
Turn Android device notifications off
- Open the Android Settings app .
- Tap Notifications .
- Find “YouTube.”
- Toggle on or off.
Note: The will now show up on all YouTube channels you’re subscribed to as a way to indicate that you’ve turned off all notifications.