Troubleshoot video streaming issues
YouTube video streaming issues can be caused by many factors. By troubleshooting your internet or device connection, you may be able to play your videos again.
You may be experiencing a video streaming issue if you’ve seen one of these notifications:
- An error has occurred.
- Playback error. Tap to retry.
- Connection to server lost.
- This video is unavailable.
- Something went wrong. Tap to Retry.
Troubleshoot internet and device connection
You may be able to play your YouTube videos again by following the steps below for internet and device connections.
|Recommended sustained speed|
|HD 1080p||5 Mbps|
|HD 720p||2.5 Mbps|
|SD 480p||1.1 Mbps|
|SD 360p||0.7 Mbps|
If you're interested in seeing more information on how your videos are streaming, check out Stats for Nerds.
Smart TVs, Chromecast, and game consoles
- Restart the YouTube app.
- Restart your device: hard reboot (disconnect power and reconnect).
- Open youtube.com/tv in Chrome and attempt the same action(s).
- For game consoles: Uninstall and reinstall the YouTube app.
- Update your device’s firmware/system software.
- If you have many browser tabs open, try to close most of them except the one you’re using for YouTube.
- Restart your browser.
- Restart your router.
- Restart your computer.
- Update your browser to the latest version.
- Use Chrome.