Restricted mode is an optional setting that you can use on YouTube. This feature can help screen out potentially mature content that you or others using your devices may prefer not to view.
Turn Restricted mode on or off
- Sign in to your account.
- At the top right, click your profile photo .
- At the bottom, click Restricted mode.
- In the top-right box that opens, to turn Restricted mode on or off, click Activate Restricted mode.
Troubleshoot problems with turning Restricted mode off
Computers in libraries, universities and other public institutions may have Restricted mode turned on by the system administrator. If you've entered your username and password, and Restricted mode remains on, try contacting your system administrator for more help.
Note: Some mobile network providers offer content filters. These filters restrict the type of web content you can access when your device is connected to their mobile network.
- Check if YouTube content restrictions are turned on for your network here.
- If your DNS restrictions are set to 'moderate' or 'strict', it is likely that you have content filtering turned on. Try contacting your mobile network provider to find out how to manage or turn off this setting.
Control Restricted mode for your family
If you're a parent using the Family Link app, you can turn Restricted mode on for your child's account if they're not eligible for a supervised experience on YouTube. Learn how to turn Restricted mode on in the Family Link app's settings.
When Restricted mode is turned on in Family Link, your child can't change the Restricted mode settings on any device that they're signed in to.
Note: You can't set up Restricted mode for your child if they:
- Are over 13 (or the relevant age in your country/region), unless you created their supervised Google Account before they reached this age.
- Are over 13 (or the relevant age in your country/region) and have taken over management of their account.
- Live in the European Union, you set up supervision for them before April 2021 and they were under the relevant age at that time
Learn more about Restricted mode
- We use many signals, like video title, description, metadata, Community Guidelines reviews and age restrictions to identify and filter out potentially mature content.
- Restricted mode is available in every language, but due to differences in cultural norms and sensitivities, the quality may vary.
- When Restricted mode is turned on, you can't view comments on the videos that you watch.
- Restricted mode works on the browser or device level, so you must turn it on for each browser that you use. If your browser or device supports multiple profiles, you must turn this mode on for each profile.
- Creators: Learn about how Restricted mode impacts your content.
Assistant speakers and smart displays
- Open the Home app on your mobile device.
- Tap the speaker or smart display that you would like to modify.
- Tap Settings.
- Tap Notifications and digital wellbeing.
- Tap YouTube Settings.
- There are two ways that you can control Restricted mode settings for your smart display:
- You can turn on or off Restricted mode for yourself, and
- If you're a device manager, you can turn Restricted mode on or off for all other users.