Paid product placements and endorsements
You may include paid product placements, endorsements or other content that requires disclosure to viewers ('Paid Promotion') in your video content. If you do, we require you to notify YouTube by ticking the 'video contains paid promotion' box in your Advanced Settings using the instructions below.
All Paid Promotion needs to conform to our Ad Policies. In addition, creators and brands are responsible for understanding and complying with their legal obligations to disclose Paid Promotion in their content, including when and how to disclose and to whom to disclose (so be sure to check and comply with your legal obligations).
Paid product placements may be described as pieces of content that are created for a third party in exchange for compensation, and/or where that third party's brand, message or product is integrated directly into the content.
Endorsements may be described as pieces of content created for an advertiser or marketer that contain a message that consumers are likely to believe reflects the opinions, beliefs or experiences of the content creator or endorser.
- On a computer, sign in to YouTube.
- Go to your Video Manager by clicking your account icon > Creator Studio > Video Manager.
- Next to the video, select Edit.
- Under the video, select the Advanced Settings tab.
- Go to the 'Content declaration' section and tick the box for This video contains paid promotion such as paid product placement, sponsorships or endorsement.
For information on why you need to notify YouTube, refer to the 'What happens when I tick the 'Content declaration' box?' section.
Yes. We now offer an additional feature that enables creators to opt in to a visible disclosure for viewers, which appears as a text overlay for the first few seconds when a viewer watches the video.
You can choose to add the paid promotion disclosure to any new or existing videos without having to upload a new video. If you add the paid promotion disclosure to an existing video, the video will keep its view count and other video metrics.
Use the paid promotion disclosure feature by following these instructions:
- For any new or existing video that contains Paid Promotion, follow the steps above to tick the 'video contains paid promotion' box.
- You'll see a second tick box that says Help me inform viewers of paid promotion by adding a disclosure to this video. Additional disclosures for this video may be required under applicable laws.
- Tick this box to add a 10-second text disclosure on your video that says 'Includes paid promotion'.
- Viewers will see this when they start watching the video on a computer or the latest version of the YouTube mobile app.
Note: Even if you use the paid promotion disclosure feature, keep in mind that different jurisdictions have various requirements for creators and brands involved in Paid Promotion that may require you to do more, so be sure to check and follow applicable laws.
- Title cards: Five seconds or less and static. If they are placed at the beginning of the video (0:01s), the card must be co-branded with the creator's name/logo.
- End cards: Placed within the last 30 seconds of the video and must be static.