You’ll begin to see handles on YouTube! We’re gradually rolling out handles across comments, Shorts, mentions, and more throughout the coming weeks.
If you don’t select a handle by November 14, 2022, YouTube will automatically assign you one. You can change this handle at any point at youtube.com/handle.
Handles are a way for you to find and connect with creators on YouTube. Handles are unique and short channel identifiers distinct from channel names, and they start with the “@” symbol. For example, @youtubecreators.
All channels will have an associated handle that can be used to find and interact with other users– both creators and viewers. Your handle will also automatically become the new YouTube URL for your channel that will make it easy for people to discover you. For example, youtube.com/@youtubecreators. You can use this URL to direct people to your channel when they’re not on YouTube. Each channel can only have one handle.
Your handle must follow these guidelines:
- Is between 3-30 characters
- Is made up of alphanumeric characters (A–Z, a–z, 0–9)
- Your handle can also include: underscores (_), hyphens (-), periods (.)
- Is not URL-like or phone number-like
- Is not already being used
- Follows YouTube's Community Guidelines
Best practices for choosing a handle
Select a handle that best represents your public identity on YouTube. Note that handles aren’t case-sensitive.
We don’t allow:
- Violent, offensive, sexualized, or spammy handles
- The sale and transfer of handles
Hide your handle
If you want to hide your handle, you can delete or hide your channel.
You’ll be notified in YouTube Studio and by email when you can choose your handle.
Note: If you change your handle, we hold your previous handle for 14 days in case you’d like to switch back. During this 14-day period, your former handle URL and your updated URL will both work. After 14 days, the handle will become available for other users to select as their handle.
- Go to youtube.com/handle on a computer or on a mobile device with the YouTube app.
- If you don’t have the YouTube app installed, you’ll be prompted to download it.
- Select Choose handle or Change handle.
- You may already have a reserved handle based on your custom URL.
- Type in the handle field to check the availability of your preferred handle.
- You can also choose one of the suggested handles, or the pre-filled handle based on your channel name.
- Once you’ve found an available handle, click Confirm selection.
If your preferred handle isn’t available, it’s usually because:
- Another channel already selected that handle.
- It didn’t meet our handle naming guidelines.