Super Thanks (formerly known as Viewer applause) lets creators earn a new source of revenue and connect with viewers who want to show extra gratitude for their content.
Viewers can buy a fun animation called Super Thanks on a video page. The one-time animation will be shown only to the purchaser over the top of the video. As an added bonus, purchasers will also get to post a distinct, colourful and customisable comment in the video's comments section.
Eligibility for channels
Your channel must meet the following criteria to be eligible for Super Thanks:
- Your channel is monetised
- You're in one of the available locations
- You're not a music channel under SRAV
To check if you have access to Super Thanks:
- Sign in to YouTube Studio.
- In the left menu, click Monetisation.
- Select the Supers tab. If it's your first time in the Supers section, follow the on-screen instructions to sign the Commerce Product Addendum.
- You must be monetising and in an eligible location to have access to Supers.
- If the Supers section isn't there, you don't have access yet.
- Once you've completed all the instructions, a 'Super Thanks' button will surface for you to turn on.
- If the Super Thanks button doesn't surface, you don't have access yet.
Eligibility for individual videos
Super Thanks is not available for the following types of video:
Super Thanks is available to eligible creators in the following locations:
Argentina, Australia, Austria, Belarus, Belgium, Bolivia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Brazil, Bulgaria, Canada, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Guatemala, Honduras, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, India, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Macedonia, Malta, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, Nicaragua, Norway, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Senegal, Serbia, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Africa, South Korea, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, Uganda, United Kingdom, United States, Uruguay.
Super Thanks policies
Participating creators (and MCNs) must accept and comply with:
- YouTube Terms of Service
- YouTube Community Guidelines
- YouTube monetisation policies
- Commerce Product Addendum
- Participating creators can accept the Commerce Product Addendum under 'Agreements' in Settings in YouTube Studio.
- All applicable laws as required by YouTube's Terms of Service. Money that you get from Super Thanks may be treated differently based on laws that apply to you and your activities.
Super Thanks isn't a crowdfunding or donation tool. Options to fundraise on YouTube can be found here. You're responsible for understanding and fully complying with all applicable laws. This includes whether you can enable, offer, send and receive money from Super Thanks.
We continually use signals to identify potentially abusive or fraudulent behaviour. If we detect any of those signals, we'll terminate access to Super Thanks. We reserve the right to terminate access to Super Thanks on any channel.
You should be aware of our Community Guidelines strike system and of potential loss of privileges for actions that cause harm to the YouTube community.