The Priority device setting gives a device of your choosing the fastest connection on your Wi-Fi network. When you prioritise a device (such as your laptop or Chromecast), your Wi-Fi network reserves more bandwidth for that device to use. This means less buffering and better download speeds. You might want to do this when streaming a film on your TV or when playing a game online. For Stadia gaming, learn more about how to optimise your network for gaming performance.
Keep in mind: Any device on your Wi-Fi network – whether wired directly or connected wirelessly – can be prioritised using this setting. Only one device can be prioritised at a time, and prioritising one device might limit the Wi-Fi speed of your other devices.
Set a priority device with the Google Home app
- Open the Google Home app .
- Tap Wifi .
- Under 'Devices', tap Set priority device.
- Select the device that you would like to prioritise.
- At the bottom, select how long you would like to prioritise that device.
- Tap Save .
Set a priority device with the Google Wifi app
- Open the Google Wifi app .
- Tap Settings and actions tab Priority device.
- You’ll see a list of devices connected to your Wi-Fi network. Select a device and it will automatically be prioritised for 1 hour.
To change the duration, tap the time frame. You can prioritise it for 1, 2 or 4 hours.
- Tap Save in the upper-right corner to save the changes.