The priority device setting gives a device of your choosing the fastest connection on your Wi-Fi network. When you prioritize a device (like your laptop or Chromecast), your Wi-Fi network reserves more bandwidth for that device to use. This means less buffering and better download speeds. You might want to do this when you stream a movie on your TV or when you play a game online. To set bandwidth preferences based on activity types, learn more about how to optimize your network for latency sensitive activities.
Note: Any device on your Wi-Fi network, whether wired directly or connected wirelessly, can be prioritized using this setting. Only one device can be prioritized at a time, and prioritizing one device might limit the Wi-Fi speed of your other devices.
Set a priority device with the Google Home app
- Open the Google Home app .
- Tap Wifi .
- Under “Devices,” tap Set priority device.
- Select the device you would like to prioritize.
- At the bottom, select how long you would like to prioritize that device.
- Tap Save .
Set a priority device with the Google Wifi app
- Open the Google Wifi app .
- Tap Settings and actions tab Priority device.
- You’ll see a list of devices connected to your Wi-Fi network. Select a device and it will automatically be prioritized for 1 hour. To change the duration, tap the time frame. You can prioritize it for 1, 2, or 4 hours.
- Tap Save.