This content is likely not relevant anymore. Try searching or browse recent questions.
Something has happened to Google Search - and its really hacking me off 1 Recommended Answer 33 Replies 320 Upvotes
Last edited 4/2/19
I've been searching around to see if anyone else has pointed out that the Google search engine appears to have changed behaviour as I'm seeing a marked change and its reallly pissing me off - but no one else is talking about this so I'm wondering if I'm the only one seeing this???
Lets search for "Late phase clinical trials" - when the results return it looks good and I'm about to click on the top link which looks promising and bang several more entries are added (at the top) which are generally rubbish and before I know it I'm clicking one of those and getting taken to a worthless site. This seems like new behaviour and I can only think its a poor attempt at gaining ad revenue by tricking me into clicking the ad links. Why is this?
Also when I look at the first page of results I see that many of the entries after the initial dross are still not relevant. In my example the first page produces 27 entries plus the Google Scholar links (very welcome) and the "People also ask" table that features commonly asked questions based on the search term.
Of the 27 entries
- 3 are exactly the same link to totaljobs.com (ok so they give me the correct jobs but I didn't ask for jobs - thats a specific search and I never mentioned the keyword jobs)
- 2 are exactly the same link to a second search page at informationvne.com both of which just execute the same search on this website
- 3 are exactly the same link to a second search page at kensaq.com all of which just execute the same search on this website
- 4 are exactly the same link to a second search page at teoma.co.uk all of which just execute the same search on this website
- 3 are exactly the same link to a second search page at ukdownloadsearch.cnet.com all of which just execute the same search on this website
Interestingly - apart from totaljobs - all the other search engines appeared to be powered by Google, also interestingly they all produce better search results on the first page
Out of 27 results on the first page Google finds me 15 pointers to other search pages thats 55% of the results are just wasting my time - how does anyone justify that as being a useful search engine?
Any comments or pointers to whats happened are welcome
This question is locked and replying has been disabled.
This will remove the reply from the Answers section.
Notifications are off
Your notifications are currently off and you won't receive subscription updates. To turn them on, go to Notifications preferences on your Profile page.
Google takes abuse of its services very seriously. We're committed to dealing with such abuse according to the laws in your country of residence. When you submit a report, we'll investigate it and take the appropriate action. We'll get back to you only if we require additional details or have more information to share.
Go to the Legal Help page to request content changes for legal reasons.