Search in your apps
You can use the Google app to search for content in other apps on your phone, like messages, contacts, and music. For example, to find a friend’s phone number or a recent email sent to you, search for your friend’s name.
How to search in your apps
You can search for things like an SMS message or YouTube video.
- On your Android phone, open your Google app .
- In the search box, type what you’re looking for.
- As you type, app content could appear in search suggestions.
- Tap a suggestion or finish entering your terms. Then tap Search .
- If you finish the search, you’ll see app results on the search results page.
To see app results only: Under the search box, scroll to the right. Then tap In Apps.
Choose which apps show results
You can see results from apps on your device, like Gmail and YouTube. If an app isn't available, that means it hasn't let Google make it searchable.
To pick which apps show results:
- On your Android phone, open the Google app .
- At the bottom right, tap Menu Settings Personal.
- You’ll see all apps you can search.
- To remove an app from search results, tap it.
- To include an app in search results, tap it again.
How your app info stays private
When you search in apps on your phone you can see personal results, like messages, and public results, like YouTube videos. Only you can see your personal results.
Searching your personal results happens entirely on your phone, so you can search even when you're not connected to WiFi or cellular data.
Aaron is a Search expert and author of this help page. Leave him feedback below about the page.