Beta test the Google app for Android
If you have an Android device and want to test experimental features of the Google app before they’re released, you can join the beta tester program.
To be part of the beta testing program:
- Visit the testing program opt-in page. You might have to sign in to your Google Account.
- Choose Become a tester.
- In the “Get the testing version” section, follow the onscreen instructions to start using the beta version.
Note: The beta version of the Google app might be unstable and have a few minor problems, known as bugs. Let us know about any bugs by sharing feedback.
To stop being a beta tester:
- Visit the testing program opt-out page. You may have to sign in to your Google Account.
- Under “Leave the testing program,” choose Leave the program.
- Update to the newest version of the Google app for Android when it's available. A new version is released about every 3 weeks.
As a beta tester, you’ll be able to use features that haven’t been released to the public. These features could become available to the public in the future. We ask that you don’t publicize or share the features you’re testing until they’re publicly launched.
By beta testing, you’ll become an important part of the app’s development. Your participation and feedback will help us release a better version of the app.
Frequently asked questions
Can I have both a beta version of the app and a regular version?
You can have only one version of the Google app installed on your Android device.
Will I lose any data if I switch to the beta version?
Switching to the beta version is the same as a typical update, so you won’t lose any data or settings.
Katie is a Search expert and author of this help page. Leave her feedback below about the page.