Whether you use Google Search at work, with children, or for yourself, SafeSearch can help you filter explicit content from your results. Explicit results include sexually explicit content like pornography, violence, and gore. Learn more about Google Search’s content policies.
Important: SafeSearch only works on Google search results. It won’t block explicit content you find on other search engines or websites that you go to directly.
Turn SafeSearch on or off
If you manage your own Google Account, you can turn on SafeSearch for your personal account or browser.
- On your computer, go to SafeSearch settings.
- Turn Explicit results filter on or off.
- To turn off SafeSearch, turn off Explicit results filter.
- To turn on SafeSearch, turn on Explicit results filter.
- If you find a Lock at the top right, your SafeSearch setting is locked. The settings page provides info about who manages your SafeSearch setting. Learn more about why your SafeSearch setting is locked.
Tip: At the top right of Google search results, you can also click Settings Hide explicit results or Show explicit results. If these options aren't there, you can turn Explicit results filter on or off.
How SafeSearch works
When SafeSearch is on: While SafeSearch isn’t 100% accurate, it helps filter out explicit content in Google search results for all your queries across images, videos, and websites.
When SafeSearch is off: We provide the most relevant results for your search which may include explicit content when you search for it.
Who can change your SafeSearch settings
- If you manage your own Google Account, you can turn SafeSearch on or off.
- If a parent helps manage your account in the Family Link app, your parent can manage your SafeSearch setting.
- If you’re signed in to a Google Workspace for Education account and are under 18 or are associated with a K-12 institution, your administrator can manage your SafeSearch setting.
Manage SafeSearch settings for othersChange your child’s SafeSearch settings in the Family Link app
SafeSearch is turned on by default for children under 13 (or applicable age in your country) signed in to an account managed with Family Link. For these accounts, only parents can turn off SafeSearch. Learn more about Search and your child’s Google Account with the Family Link app.
If you want to guarantee SafeSearch results on another device that you manage, like your PC or MacBook, you can map google domains to forcesafesearch.google.com. Learn how to keep SafeSearch turned on for devices you manage.
Fix issues with SafeSearch
If SafeSearch isn't working, learn how to fix issues with SafeSearch.
Report explicit content
If you have SafeSearch turned on and you find explicit content, you can report the content.