Search & browse privately
You’re in control of what information you share with Google when you search. To browse the web privately, you can use private browsing, sign out of your account, change your custom results settings, or delete past activity.
If you want to search the web without saving your search activity to your account, you can use private browsing mode in a browser (like Chrome or Safari).
How private browsing works
Private browsing works differently depending on which browser you use. Browsing in private usually means:
- The searches you do or sites you visit won’t be saved to your device or browsing history.
- Files you download or bookmarks you create might be kept on your device.
- Cookies are deleted after you close your private browsing window or tab.
- You might see search results and suggestions based on your location or other searches you’ve done during your current browsing session.
Note: If you sign in to your Google Account to use a web service like Gmail, your searches and browsing activity might be saved to your account.
Open private browsing mode
Learn how to search privately on these browsers:
Sign out of your Google Account
When you browse in private you’re signed out of your Google Account by default. If you sign in to your Google Account, through a web service like Gmail, your browsing activity might be saved to your account.
- On your iPhone or iPad, open your Google app .
- At the top right, tap your Google Account profile picture Manage accounts on this device.
- Under the account you want to remove, tap Remove from this device.
Secure your browsing with Touch ID
You can turn on Touch ID for Incognito mode to make your browsing session more secure.
Turn on Touch ID
- On your iPhone or iPad, open the Google app .
- At the bottom right, tap More Settings.
- Turn on Enable Touch ID for Incognito mode.
If asked whether to stay in Incognito mode
If you have Touch ID turned on, close the app, and then return after more than 15 minutes, you’ll be asked whether you’d like to stay in Incognito mode.
- To go back to regular browsing, tap Exit Incognito.
- To continue private browsing, tap Continue. You’ll be asked to authenticate with Touch ID to re-enter your session.