Search by handwriting
You can write your search terms with your finger instead of typing the words on the keyboard. As you write, your handwritten text converts into words in the search box.Handwrite your searches
Turn Handwrite on or off
- Visit the Search settings page from your phone or tablet.
- Go to the Handwrite section.
- To turn Handwrite on, tap Enable.
- To turn Handwrite off, tap Disable.
- At the bottom of the page, tap Save.
Note: You might need to refresh your browser to see the changes you've made.
How to search using Handwrite
- When Handwrite is turned on, visit google.com on your mobile device.
- In the lower right corner of the screen, tap Handwrite .
- Use your finger to start writing your search terms anywhere on the screen. As you write, your handwritten text converts into text in the search box.
- Tap Search .
Tips and tricks
- Delete letters: At the bottom of the page, tap Delete .
- Start over: In the search box, tap Clear .
- Clarify characters: When you type a character that could be mistaken for another, like 0 (the number) and O (the letter), a list of options might appear at the bottom of the screen.
- Use predictions: To help save you time, a list of predicted search terms might appear in the search box as you write. Tap a prediction to search for that term, or tap the arrow to the right of a query to explore related searches .
- Include symbols: Try symbols and special characters like +, @, &, and $.
You can use Handwrite on these devices:
- Phones with Android 2.3 and higher
- Tablets with Android 4.0 and higher
Katie is a Search expert and author of this help page. Leave her feedback below about the page.