Update your location on Google
When you search on Google, we use your location to help provide the most relevant search results. For example, if you’re in Seattle, when you search for
coffee shops, you'll see ones that are nearby.
Turn your location on or off
- On your device's Home screen, tap Apps Settings Location.
- At the top right, tap the switch to turn location on or off.
- If you turn location on, you can use high accuracy mode for more precise results. If you’re asked to improve your location accuracy, tap Agree. Or tap Mode > High accuracy.
Tip: To quickly turn on your location, swipe down with two fingers from the top of your device’s screen tap Location.
Check and update your location
If you’re using a browser, like Chrome or Safari, you can see your location and update it directly from the search results page. These steps don’t apply to the Google app.
- Do a search on Google.
- Scroll to the bottom of the search results page. You’ll see your location.
- To update your location, tap Use precise location.
- If you’re asked to share your device's location with Google, tap Allow.
Troubleshoot location problems
If your location is unavailable, incorrect, or you see an error like “Google can’t access your location,” here are some tips to fix the issue:
- Make sure you have a strong Internet connection.
- Check to see if you’ve turned on location using the instructions above.
- If you’re using a browser, like Safari or Chrome, refresh the browser.
If you’re still having issues, check your browser and Google app settings:
Step 1: Make sure Chrome has access to your location
- On your device’s Home screen, tap Chrome
- In the top right, tap More Settings Site settings.
- Tap Location.
- Check to make sure the switch is turned on. If the switch is on, it’ll be blue.
Step 2: Make sure the Google app has access to your location
- On your device’s Home screen, tap Apps Settings Apps Google App Permissions.
- Next to “Location,” check to make sure the switch is turned on. If the switch is on, it’ll be green.
Katie is a Search expert and author of this help page. Leave her feedback below about the page.