Filter your search results
You can filter and customize your search results to find exactly what you want. For example, you can find sites updated within the last 24 hours, or photos of a certain color.
Note: Filtering your search results doesn't change any of your search settings. To change settings like SafeSearch, results per page, languages, location, or delete past searches, visit the Search settings page.
Add or remove filtersComputer
- Do a search on Google.
- Choose the type of result you want to see, like Images or News, by selecting a type under the search box. Click More to see extra choices.
- Below the search box, click Search tools to see more filters you can apply to your search. The Search tools you see will be different based on your search and the filters you've already used, so you won't see all the options every time.
- To remove any filters you've added through Search tools, click Clear.
Use these instructions if you're searching on a mobile browser, like Chrome or Safari, on your phone or tablet.
- Do a search on Google.
- Choose the type of result you want to see, like Images or News, by selecting a type under the search box. Touch More to see extra choices.
- Touch More > Search tools to see more filters you can apply to your search. The Search tools you see will be different based on your search and the filters you've already used, so you won't see all the options every time.
- To remove any filters you've added through Search tools, touch Clear.
Ways to filter search results
- Type of result: At the top or bottom of a search results page, you’ll see a number of ways to filter your results to see one type of content. For example, click Images to have all of your search results be pictures, or Shopping to see search results that help you find ways to buy the things you searched for.
- Search tools: Once you’ve decided which type of results you want, you can refine your results even further using Search tools. Search tools can include things like location, color, size, and the date a page was published.
Types of search tools
Some Search tools aren't available in all languages or only show if you're signed in to your Google Account.Search tools you can use for Web results
Search tools will be different based on the type of results you’re looking at, but may include:
- Publish date: Limit results according to when they were published on the Web.
- Verbatim: Search for exact words or phrases.
- Dictionary: Find definitions, synonyms, images, and more for your search term.
- Private: If you're signed in to your Google Account, you can see content that was shared with you on Google+ or Gmail.
- Nearby: See results for your current location.
- Videos: Filter by length of video, quality, and source, like youtube.com.
- Recipes: Filter by ingredients, cook time, and calories.
- Applications: Choose the price and operating system, or OS, for available apps.
- Patents: Select a patent's filing or publishing date, the patent office it was filed in, filing status, and type. You can also do a patent search directly at patents.google.com.
- Size: Pick among large, medium, or icon, or set the exact dimensions.
- Color: Find images of a certain color, black and white, or transparent.
- Type: Only see images that are faces, photos, clip art, line drawings, or animated GIFs.
- Time: Find a photo that was recently published, or published on a certain date.
- Usage rights: See photos that you can reuse or modify. Learn how to find content to reuse.
Another way to filter results is by using search operators, which are words or symbols that help you narrow down your results.
Kaley is on the Search support team and author of this help page. Please leave her suggestions below on how to improve this article.