Add a call to action
The final step to creating an effective ad is to add a call to action. A typical call to action is a clickable button that takes the user to a company website.
To add a call-to-action button to your ad:
- Be sure your ad has a button or other clear visual call-to-action element for the user to click or touch.
- Drag the Tap Area component from the Interaction folder of the Components panel to the stage, and position it over the call to action.
- Click the new event button in the Events panel.
- In the event dialog, select the following options:
Target The Tap Area component (
Event Tap Area > Touch/Click Action
Google Ad > Exit ad
Note: A similar action, Exit ad (overrides URL), doesn't allow you to modify the URL outside of the creative, such as within Studio or Campaign Manager, and should only be used for dynamic ads.
- Metrics ID - A label (e.g., "CTA") to make reports easier to understand.
- URL - The exit URL.
- Collapse on exit - For expandable ads, check to collapse the ad when the user closes the ad.
- Pause media on exit - Check to stop video and audio playback when the user closes the ad.
- Collapsed page on exit - For expandable ads, the page to show when the user closes the ad.
Create a dynamic call to action with the Tap Area component
The Tap Area component lets you initiate almost any action with a touch or click. One common use is to create a call to action. Typically, this will be a static link to a website, but dynamic links are also possible when you're creating a dynamic ad.
Display & Video 360 (including data-driven creatives)
If your ad environment is set to Display & Video 360, you can use a dynamic data binding to set up the call to action.
- In the Dynamic panel's Bindings tab, click the Add dynamic bindings button.
- On the Bindings tab of the Dynamic Properties dialog, click Add Binding.
- For the Element, select the Tap Area.
- For the Element attribute, select Exit override URL.
- For the Data schema object, select the dynamic URL data (e.g., Product 0 > URL).
If your ad environment is set to Google Ads, create a new event to set up the call to action. The event uses custom actions that are available for the Google Ads dynamic remarketing templates. If you create your ad from scratch, use the "Dynamic Remarketing Blank Slate" template, which includes the custom events.
- Right-click the Tap Area and select Add event...
- For the event, select Tap Area > Touch/Click.
- For the action:
- Select Custom > gwd.exitToItem to exit to the item URL.
- Select Custom > gwd.exitToDefault to exit to the landing page URL for the ad.
- Click OK.