/wearos/community?hl=en
This content is likely not relevant anymore. Try searching or browse recent questions.
Watch can access internet over bluetooth only when Wear OS app on the phone is in foreground
I recently bought Mobvoi TicWatch Ultra GPS running wear OS 2.33. I'm using it in tandem with Xiaomi Mi 9 running MIUI 12.0.5 (based on Android 10) with Wear OS app 2.52.0
I was able to pair the devices, watch is connected over the bluetooth. 

The problem I noticed that internet data connection over bluetooth works correctly only when Wear OS app is in foreground on the phone. Putting the app to the background stops internet access on the watch (even though watch claims is still connected - no crossed-out cloud icon). All notifications are received but watch apps are reporting no network connectivity.

When watch is connected over WiFI (bluetooth is disabled) or when Wear OS app on the phone is in the foreground and phone is unlocked everything works flawlessly. 

I assume that for some reason some Wear OS app background service on the phone gets stopped when app is not in the foreground. 

I tried:
1. "Locking" Wear OS app in the MIUI activity manager
2. Disabling MIUI battery optimization for Wear OS application
3. Enabling autostart for Wear OS app
4. Disabling Smart Lock trust agent 
5. Using older Wear OS app version (2.49)

No luck. I still need to keep Wear OS app open to get network access on the watch.

I don't expect unpairing/resetting watch will change anything is as this seems to be problem with Wear OS Android app on the phone and the problem is present from the day 0 (from the very first moment of parign brand new watch).

Does anyone have any ​idea what else could be wrong or how to workaround this problem?

EDIT: It seems that the problem is only present when the phone is connected to the Wi-Fi. Using LTE connection does not to expose this problem.
Details
Pinned
Latest Update Latest Updates (0)
Relevant Answer Relevant Answers (0)
All Replies (2)
Wrangler of imaginary computers
Relevant Answer
Hi Jacek,

That certainly does sound like it's an issue with Wear OS being somehow impeded by the phone's operating system while it's running in the background. Xiaomi devices do often employ aggressive battery management systems that can cause issues like this.

It sounds like you've already tried everything on this list but maybe there's something else here that can help?

Cheers,
John
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Hi John,

thanks for your message, unfortunately the link you provided did not helped me solving the problem, however I nailed it! I was able to find the exact problem with the MIUI configuration.

It appeared that I had an "Extreme" mode of Wi-Fi Assistant Traffic mode enabled (https://c.mi.com/thread-3111741-1-0.html). That caused Wear OS app to be starved for Wi-Fi data when running in the background. Disabling Traffic mode or switching it to "Regular" fixes the problem. 

So, to wrap it up. To get Wear OS app correctly running on MIUI you need:
1) Disable MIUI battery optimization for it (no need to "lock" the app in the activity manger)
2) Disable Traffic mode of the Wi-Fi assistant (or use Regular mode)

Cheers,
Jacek
marked this as an answer
This question is locked and replying has been disabled.
Discard post? You will lose what you have written so far.
Write a reply
10 characters required
Failed to attach file, click here to try again.
Discard post?
You will lose what you have written so far.
Personal information found

We found the following personal information in your message:

This information will be visible to anyone who visits or subscribes to notifications for this post. Are you sure you want to continue?

A problem occurred. Please try again.
Create Reply
Edit Reply
This will remove the reply from the Answers section.
Notifications are off
Your notifications are currently off and you won't receive subscription updates. To turn them on, go to Notifications preferences on your Profile page.
Report abuse
Google takes abuse of its services very seriously. We're committed to dealing with such abuse according to the laws in your country of residence. When you submit a report, we'll investigate it and take the appropriate action. We'll get back to you only if we require additional details or have more information to share.

Go to the Legal Help page to request content changes for legal reasons.

Reported post for abuse
Unable to send report.
What type of post are you reporting?
Google takes abuse of its services very seriously. We're committed to dealing with such abuse according to the laws in your country of residence. When you submit a report, we'll investigate it and take the appropriate action. We'll get back to you only if we require additional details or have more information to share.

Go to the Legal Help page to request content changes for legal reasons.

Reported post for abuse
Unable to send report.
This reply is no longer available.
/wearos/threads
//accounts.google.com/ServiceLogin
You'll receive email notifications for new posts at
Unable to delete question.
Unable to update vote.
Unable to update subscription.
You have been unsubscribed
Deleted
Unable to delete reply.
Removed from Answers
Removed from Updates
Marked as Recommended Answer
Marked as Update
Removed recommendation
Undo
Unable to update reply.
Unable to update vote.
Thank you. Your response was recorded.
Unable to undo vote.
Thank you. This reply will now display in the answers section.
Link copied
Unlocked
Unable to lock
Unable to unlock
Pinned
Unpinned
Unable to pin
Unable to unpin
Marked
Unmarked
Unable to mark
Reported as off topic