When you use an app on your watch, you control which capabilities or information that app can use. The systems that control access are called permissions. For example, a fitness app might want permission to use your watch's location in order to track your runs.
Apps that request permissions before install
Some apps require you to allow permissions before they can be installed on your watch. These apps list "Needs permission" in the watch's app launcher.
To allow or deny these permissions, touch the app in the watch's app launcher and follow the onscreen prompts.
If you deny these permissions, the app will not be installed. To get the app back on the watch, you'll need to re-sync apps from your phone.
- Open the Wear OS app or the companion app for your device.
- If you're using the companion app for your device, follow their instructions.
- Tap Advanced settings.
- Select your watch.
- Tap Resync apps.
Apps that request permissions after install
Some apps only ask for permissions after the apps are installed. When you use an app, you can allow or deny individual permission requests before the app uses that type of data.
Turn permissions on or off
If your watch is running Android 6.0 or higher, you can change app permissions in your watch's Settings. Turning off permissions may cause apps on your device to lose functionality.
- If your screen is dim, tap the screen to wake up the watch.
- Swipe down from the top of the screen.
- Wear OS by Google: Tap Settings Apps & notifications App permissions.
- All other watches: Swipe left and tap Settings Permissions.
- Tap the app which has permissions you want to change.
- Tap the permission to turn it on or off.