Set up a Google Voice account
With Google Voice, you get a free phone number for calls, text messages, and voicemail. You can use the apps on smartphones and computers, and you can link your number to any mobile or landline number.
Make sure your phone is on and can get texts. To verify, we'll send your phone a text message with a code.
- On your iPhone or iPad, download the Google Voice app from the App Store if you haven't already.
- On your iPhone or iPad, open the Google Voice app .
- Sign in to your Google Account.
- To accept terms and conditions, tap Continue.
- To pick your Google Voice number, tap Search.
- Search by city or area code for a number. Google Voice doesn't offer 1-800 numbers.
- If there aren't any numbers available in the area you want, try somewhere nearby.
- Next to the number you want, tap Select. Follow the instructions.
After setting up Google Voice, you can link another phone number. Learn more about setting up phones.