Upgrade from Google Voice Lite
Google Voice Lite isn’t available for new accounts. Learn how to set up a full Google Voice account.
If you already have a Google Voice Lite account, you can continue to use it or upgrade to a full account.
Upgrade to a full Google Voice account
Make sure your phone is on and can get texts. To verify, we'll send your phone a text message with a code.
- On your Android device, open the Google Voice app .
- Sign in with your Google Account.
- Choose to upgrade to a full account:
- When you open Google Voice, you'll be asked to get a Google Voice number. Tap Get started.
- If you don't see a prompt, at the top left, tap Menu Settings. Next to "Get a Google Voice number," tap Choose.
- To pick your Google number, tap Search.
- Search by city or area code for a Google Voice number. Google Voice doesn't offer 1-800 numbers.
- If there aren't any numbers available in the area you want, try somewhere nearby.
- Next to the number you want, tap Select. Then, follow the onscreen instructions.
Use a computer to turn off voicemail and disconnect Google Voice Lite.
- On your computer, open Google Voice.
- At the top left, click Menu Legacy Google Voice. Google Voice will look different, but you're in the right place.
- At the top right, open Settings Settings.
- Click the "Phones" tab.
- Under your forwarding phone, click Deactivate Google voicemail on this phone.
- Follow the instructions to turn off Google voicemail. The instructions differ depending on your carrier.
- Under your forwarding phone, click Delete.
If you deleted your Google Account without turning off Google voicemail, call your carrier. Ask them to remove "conditional call forwarding" from your account.