Upgrade to a full Google Voice account
- On your computer, open Google Voice.
- Choose to upgrade to a full account:
- When you open Google Voice, you'll be asked to get a Google Voice number. Click Get started.
- If you don't get a prompt, at the top left, click Menu Settings. Next to "Choose a Google Voice number," click Choose.
- Search by city or area code for a Google Voice number. Google Voice doesn't offer 1-800 numbers.
- If there aren't any numbers available in the area you want, try somewhere nearby.
- Next to the number you want, click Select. Then, follow the onscreen instructions.
Tip: If you've forwarded calls from your phone to your Google Voice Voicemail before, to use your new Google Voice number, update your carrier settings. Since steps to set up Carrier Call Forwarding vary by carrier, contact your carrier service provider for more relevant details.
After setting up Google Voice, you can link another phone number. Learn more about setting up phones.