Send text messages
International text messages: At this time Google Voice text messaging doesn't support sending and receiving text messages from international numbers, with the exception of Canadian numbers. You can only send and receive text messages to phone numbers in the U.S and Canada.
There are several ways to send text messages from the Google Voice website.To send a text message to a single recipient
- Compose a text message: Click the Text button at the top left of the page, above the Inbox label. Enter the phone number, type your message, and click Send.
- Reply by text message to a voicemail, call, or text: Click the Text link near the bottom of the message. Type your text message and click Send. You can also reply from your cell phone, but your mobile operator may charge you for it.
- Send a text message through your Contacts list: Click Google Contacts on the left side of the page. Select a contact, hover over their phone number, and click the text icon that appears to the right of the phone number.
- Click the Text button at the top left of the page, above the Inbox label.
- Enter your recipients' phone numbers in the "To" field with a comma separating each number.
- Type your message, and click Send.
You can send a text message to up to five recipients at a time. When your recipients respond, their responses will be separate text message items in your inbox and "Text" label.
To prevent abuse, there are limits to the number of text messages you can send from Google Voice. If you've reached the limits, you will see a message that says 'Your message was not sent because the text message limit was reached. Please try again later or try sending to fewer contacts.' You'll have to send to fewer people, or try sending your text message at a later time.
Forward your messages to your cellphone
Anyone can send a text message to your Google number and the message will be forwarded only to the phones you've marked as Mobile in the Phone Type section of your Phones tab.
If you reply to the message, your replies display your Google number as the caller ID and the whole conversation is stored and searchable from your inbox.
The text messages that are sent to your Google number will also be displayed on the website. You can reply to the text message from the Web as well.
Receive text messages in your email
In addition to receiving text messages sent to your Google number on your mobile device and in your Google Voice inbox, you can also have text messages sent to your Google number delivered to your email address. By enabling Google Voice text-messaging to email, you'll be able to keep, search, and organize your text messages along with your email messages.
If you enable Google Voice text messaging to email, text messages sent to your Google number will be delivered to the email address associated with your Google Account. If you reply to the text email message, your reply will be sent as a text message to the original sender.
To enable sending Google Voice Text Messaging to the email address associated with your Google Account, follow these steps:
- Click the gear icon at the top of the page, click Settings, and select the Voicemail & Text tab.
- Check the box next to 'Forward text messages to my email:' in the 'Text Forwarding' section.
- Click Save Changes.
Note: You can only reply to text messages from the email address it was originally sent to. If you're forwarding messages from the email address associated with your Google Account to another email address and try to reply to the text message from the other address, your text message won't be delivered.