Set up Voice
To view information for an account managed by your work or school, sign in to your G Suite account.
With Google Voice, you get a free phone number for calls, text messages, and voicemail. You can use the apps on smartphones and computers, and you can link your number to any mobile or landline number.
What you can do with Voice
- Text from your computer or mobile phone
- Read your voicemail and search through it like email
- Personalize voicemail greetings for family and friends
- Make international calls at low rates
- Get protected from spam calls, block unwanted callers, and screen calls before answering
To offer these services, Voice saves and processes your call, text, and voicemail information.
What you need to use Voice
- A Google Account
- Computer or mobile phone with internet access (for sign-up)
- U.S. phone number that can forward calls after ringing
- Note: Some VoIP phone number providers don't allow conditional call forwarding
Cost and availability
Voice is only available in the U.S. If you're outside the U.S., you can make calls with Hangouts.
Sign up for Voice and get your number
Make sure your phone is on and you can get texts. To check, we'll send your phone a text with a code.
- On your Android device, download the Google Voice app.
- Open the Voice app .
- Sign in to your Google account.
- To pick your Voice number, tap Search.
- Search by city or area code for a number. Voice doesn't offer 1-800 numbers.
- If there aren't any numbers available in the area you want, try somewhere nearby.
- Next to the number you want, tap Select. Follow the instructions.
After setting up Voice, you can link another phone number. Learn more about setting up phones.