Place Hangouts Chat messages on hold
Use holds to preserve data indefinitely to meet legal or preservation obligations.
If a user who's subject to a hold deletes data, it's removed from the user's view, but the data is preserved in Vault. As long as the hold is in place, you can search and export that data.
For more information about holds, see the holds FAQ.
Retention rules and holds always apply to rooms. However, they apply to DMs only when history is turned on. A G Suite admin can control whether history is on or off, or they can allow users to decide.
A hold preserves conversations in rooms only if a held user sent a message
You can't place an entire room on hold
When you create a hold, messages covered by the hold will remain visible to the user, even if a retention rule should have removed the messages from that user's view.
Place Hangouts Chat on hold
- Create or open the matter that will contain the hold.
- Click Create Hold.
- Enter a unique name for the hold.
- Choose the type of hold: Hangouts Chat.
- Use the down arrow to apply the hold to either individual accounts or to an entire organizational unit:
- Accounts—enter one or more email addresses for the accounts that are subject to this hold.
- Organization—Choose an organizational unit from the drop-down list.
- (Optional) Check the box to include conversations from rooms.
- Click Save to create the hold.
Modify an existing hold on Hangouts Chat
You can change some of the criteria of a hold. However, you can't change the data type.
- Open the matter that contains the hold.
- Click the hold, then click Edit Hold.
- Modify any of the following criteria:
- Accounts—Add or remove accounts or organizational units. You cannot add accounts to a hold that covers an organizational unit, nor can you add organizational units to a hold that covers individual accounts. Additionally, If you remove all users, you're prompted to delete the hold.
- Also include conversations in rooms—Change this setting as desired to include or exclude conversations in rooms.
- Click Save.