What is Google Vault?
Google Vault lets you retain, hold, search, and export your organization's mail and chat messages. You can also search and export your organization's files in Google Drive. Vault is entirely web-based, so there's no need to install or maintain any software. Vault is included with G Suite Business or G Suite for Education, or you can buy Vault licenses for an additional $5 per user, per month.
Vault provides the following eDiscovery services:
- Email and chat archiving—Set retention rules to control how long email messages and history-on chats are retained before they are removed from user mailboxes and deleted from Google systems. Learn about retention.
- Legal holds—Place legal holds on users to preserve all their emails and on-the-record chats indefinitely in order to meet legal or other retention obligations. You can place legal holds on all content in a user's account, or target specific content based on dates and terms. Learn about holds.
- Drive file search—Search your domain’s Google Drive accounts by user account, organizational unit, date, or keyword. Search results include Google file types as well as non-Google file types such as PDF, DOCX, and JPG. Learn about searching for files.
- Email and chat search—Search your domain's email, history-on Hangouts, and on-the-record Google Talk chats by user account, date, or keyword. Vault supports Boolean, Gmail-specific, and wildcard operator searches. Learn about search.
- Export—Export specific email, on-the-record chats, and files from Drive to standard formats for additional processing and review. Learn about exporting.
- Audit reports—Use Vault audit reports to learn about actions Vault users have taken during a specified period of time. Learn about audits.
Get started with your free 30-day trial.