Translate written words
You can translate words or phrases using the Google Translate app, or use Google Translate on the web through your browser.
Translate text using the Google Translate app
- Open the Translate app .
- Enter or paste the text to translate.
- Tap the language in the top-left corner tap the text's original language.
- Tap the language in the top-right corner tap the language to translate the text into.
- You'll see an automatic translation. If not, tap Translate .
Tip: To see your translation in full screen mode, turn your device sideways.
Translate text using Google Translate on the web
You can use Translate using your phone's web browser, like Chrome or Safari.
- Go to Google Translate page.
- Tap the top-left Down Arrow tap the language to translate from. If you're not sure, tap Detect language.
- Tap the top-right Down Arrow tap the language to translate into.
- Start typing and the translation will appear automatically. The more you type, the more accurate your translation will be.
If you don't see an automatic translation, tap Translate .
Listen to your translation
To hear your translation aloud, tap Listen .
Translate longer text
Google Translate now uses technology that gives better translations. You can use it to translate whole sentences and phrases in context.
Because sentences are now translated in context, you can no longer see alternate translations for a word or phrase. Instead, select the entire sentence or text block.
There is a character limit on the amount of text that can be translated at one time. Translate longer texts using documents.
Note: This feature isn’t available in all languages.