Translate with handwriting or virtual keyboard
You can draw letters or phrases and see their translation using the Translate app. This is useful if your keyboard doesn’t use the letters or symbols you want to translate.
- Open the Translate app .
- At the top left, tap the Down arrow the language you’re translating from.
- At the top right, tap the Down Arrow the language to translate into.
- Tap Handwrite . If the button is grayed out, handwriting doesn’t work for that language.
- Under "Write here," draw a character, word, or phrase. When you stop drawing, Translate shows the closest match.
- To add spaces between entries, tap Space .
- To delete letters, tap Backspace .
- To undo typing, tap Undo .
- When you’re done, tap Translate .
Note: To resize the handwriting box, touch and hold Drag . Then drag it higher or lower on the screen.