Get started with Tour Creator
Use Tour Creator to create and publish virtual reality tours. You can use imagery from templates, Google Street View, or your own 360° image collection. Then, add details and facts to the tour to create immersive experiences.
Web browsers that work with Tour Creator
- The latest version of Google Chrome
Note: Chrome should update automatically when a new version becomes available. If you don't have the latest version, learn how to update Google Chrome.
- The past two versions of Firefox
- The past two versions of Safari
Cameras that work with Tour Creator
You can make a tour with any camera that creates a 180° or 360° photo smaller than 2MB and in a .jpg, .jpeg, or .png format.
Some camera models that work with Tour Creator include:
- Ricoh Theta S
- Ricoh Theta V
- Ricoh Theta SC
- LG 360 camera
- Mi Xiaomi Sphere 360
- Insta 360 one
- Samsung Gear 360
Headsets that work with Tour Creator
You can view your tours in virtual reality using one of the following headsets:
- Google Cardboard
- Google Daydream View
- Mirage Solo with Daydream
Take photos with your mobile device
Photos without a 180° or 360° camera
You can also take photos without a 180° or 360° camera. If you captured full photospheres/panorama photos with the camera app on a Google Pixel phone, or with the Street View app on iOS, you can use them in Tour Creator.
- The latest version of Google Chrome
Create a tour
Use Google Tour Creator to create and publish virtual reality tours. You can use Google Street View panoramas, add your own images from 360 cameras, and annotate the tour with details and facts, to create immersive experiences.
Before you begin
- You must sign in to Tour Creator with your Google account.
- Tour Creator works with Google Chrome, Firefox®, and Safari®.
- After you start creating a tour, all your changes are saved in Tour Creator. You can make any changes, close the tour, and go back to it later. Your tours appear on the Tour Creator homepage if you are signed in. Click a tour’s cover photo from the home page to continue editing.
Chrome We support the latest version of Google Chrome. Normally, Chrome updates automatically when a new version becomes available. If you don't have the latest version, learn how to update Google Chrome. Firefox® We support the current and the previous release of Firefox® and Safari® browsers. Each time a new browser version is released, we begin supporting that version and stop supporting the third most recent version.
Create your first tourStep 1: Sign in and get started
Step 2: Add or edit a scene
- Sign in to Tour Creator.
- Click + New tour.
- Enter a title.
- Optional: Enter a description.
- Optional: To help other find your tour on Poly, click Category.
- Add a cover photo. Note: Photos must be at least 576 x 432px.
- Click Create.
Add tour scenes
- Click Add scene.
- To add an image, choose an option:
- Add a Google Street View panorama: Click Street View, search for a place, and press Enter.
- Add your own photo: Click Upload and select an image.
- Click Add scene to add your panorama or image to your tour.
- Add a title and description to your scene.
- Optional: Add mp3 sound files to the scene. Note: Audio clips must be 10-30 seconds long.
- Add background noise: click Add ambient audio .
- Add audio commentary: click Add scene narration .
- To add more scenes, repeat the steps above.
Edit or delete scenes
Set the starting position and add a point of interest
- To go to a different scene on your tour, at the bottom, click its name.
- To reorder your scenes, at the bottom, click the scene and then click More Move left or Move right.
- To delete a scene, click the scene and then click Trash .
You can choose what viewers see when they enter each scene. That way, you can decide what they should focus on.
Choose the starting point
- Click the scene you want to edit.
- On the bottom left, click Set starting view.
- Click and drag the photo until it shows the view you want users to see.
- When you’re done, click Save.
After you save, your starting point is set. When a viewer opens a scene or clicks the compass, they’ll return to the starting position.
Add or change a point of interest (POI)
Add a new POI
- Click + Add point of interest.
- Use your mouse or pad to click and drag the POI .
- On the right, add a title and description for the point of interest.
Edit or remove a POI
- To change the order, click a point of interest More Move up or Move down.
- To add a picture, click Add image overlay . Then, select a photo.
- To add narration, click a point of interest Add Narration. Then, select an audio file.
- To remove a POI, click the point of interest More Delete point of interest.
Publish a tour
You can publish your tour to Poly to be viewed by anyone on the web, whether on desktop or on a mobile device, or in VR using Cardboard (available for Android and iOS). Look for the VR icon on mobile to view your tour in VR. Or, you can keep your tour unlisted and share the URL with anyone. Note: VR support on iOS is generally limited. For the best experience, try viewing your tour in Safari
Unlisted tours can only be seen by those with the direct link and won’t appear in search results. Public tours are visible to all users and they'll be easily shareable and viewable.
Publish your tour
- Create your tour in Tour Creator.
- When you finish creating the tour and you're ready to publish, click Publish.
- Decide whether you want your tour to be public or unlisted. Public is the default.
- To keep your tour public and available for anyone to view, click Publish.
- To make your tour unlisted, click the Down arrow Unlisted Publish.
- Choose an option:
- (Optional) Click the URL or View tour to see your tour in Poly. You can also click the copy icon to copy the url for the tour and paste it in another location.
- (Optional) To see your published tour in VR, open the link on your phone and tap the VR icon in the upper right corner.
- Click Done to close the publish dialog.
To enable audio on Poly, click the gear menu in the tour on the upper right corner. You can then enable audio and narration if it's present. Note: You will have to enable audio for each tour that has audio and/or narration, not each scene.
Share your tour
- If you didn’t open your tour in Poly from Tour Creator, open Poly, sign in, and find your tour in Your profile.
To find your profile, click Menu Your profile.
- Choose one of several options:
- Copy the link to share it with your students if your tour is unlisted.
- To share your tour on Facebook, Twitter, or Google+, click the icon and follow the instructions.
- To embed your tour on a website, click Share Embed .
Copy the code and paste it wherever you want to embed your tour.
Edit or delete a tour
You can edit your tours at any time in Tour Creator before you publish. After you publish a tour, you can still edit it and re-publish it. Your changes will be included in the newly-published version of your tour.Edit a tour before you publish it
After you start creating a tour, all your changes are saved in Tour Creator. You can close the tour at any point and go back to it later. Your tours appear on Tour Creator homepage.Edit a tour published to Poly
You can edit a tour after you’ve published it to Poly.Delete a tour from Tour Creator
- Go to Tour Creator and sign in.
- On the tour you want to delete, click More Delete tour.
- Click Delete to confirm.
If you have published your tour, it is deleted from Tour Creator, but it's still in Poly. To delete it from Poly, see "Delete a tour from Poly" below.
Using Tour Creator for my business
Tour Creator FAQ
Can I use Tour Creator with my account?If you have a G Suite Business account, Tour Creator is on by default, unless your administrator disabled it. If you can’t sign in to Tour Creator, contact your administrator.
How do I enable audio in a tour on Poly?To enable audio on Poly, click the gear menu in the tour on the upper right corner. You can then enable audio and narration if it's present.Note: You will have to enable audio for each tour that has audio and/or narration, not each scene.
Can I save my tour and edit it later?Yes! All your changes are saved automatically in Tour Creator. You can edit your tours at any time in Tour Creator. Your tours will appear on the homepage of the Tour Creator. Simply click through an existing tour’s cover photo to keep editing. For details, see Edit your tour.After you publish a tour, you can still edit it and re-publish it. Your changes will be included in the newly-published version of your tour. For details, see Publish your tour.
Do I have to add a category to my tour?Categories help your tours ultimately get found on Poly where your tours will be hosted when they're published. If you don't wish other people to find them, or don’t want your tours to be categorized, these fields are optional. You can also use hashtags in your tour description to make it more easily searchable on Poly.
Are there any limitations or requirements I should know about?Currently, photospheres require a 2:1 aspect ratio. We will be lifting this requirement in the future to make this less cumbersome.
How do I add image overlays to points of interest in my tour?To add an image overlay on a point of interest, beneath the point of interest that you’ve added, click Insert image and you will be presented with the option to upload an image.
What type of cameras are recommended with Tour Creator use?A Ricoh Theta camera is recommended, but any camera that takes 360 photospheres should work well with Tour Creator.
Can I create a tour with a 180 camera?Yes -- tours can be created with both 180° and 360° cameras.
What's the optimal length for a tour?Tours can vary in length, but we recommend 5-7 photospheres per tour.
How do I embed my tour on my website?
You can embed your tour by heading to your tour’s page on Poly. From there, click Share and then click Embed . The embed code will automatically appear and you can copy and paste directly from that window.
Will other people be able to see the tours I create?You have the option to publish your tours as public or unlisted. Unlisted tours can only be seen by those with the direct link and will not appear in search or browse. Public tours will be visible to all. For more information, see Publish your tour.
How can I view my tour using Tour Creator?Once you’ve completed your tour using Tour Creator, you’ll publish it to Poly to view. You can publish your tour publicly, so it is available for anyone to view. You can also choose to publish the tour as unlisted, so only users with the link can view the tour.
- You can view your tour on Android and iOS mobile devices or computers.
- You can view your tour with a cardboard approved VR headset.
- You can embed your tour onto your or your school’s website.
Questions or feedback? Send any feedback, questions, or suggestions you have through the "Send Feedback" button in Tour Creator.
Templates serve as a starting point for creating tours to copy and customize.
To use templates when creating a Tour:
- Go to Tour Creator and sign in.
- Click Templates.
- Scroll through the list of templates and click on the tour that you want to copy and customize. The copy of the tour will automatically open in your browser.
- Start customizing and editing this tour. You can edit any of the content - including photospheres, overlays, points of interests, and text.
- If you choose to keep a photosphere from the template, make sure you leave the credits field in place, to give credit to the photographer.
- Changes will be automatically saved to Your tours.