You can trade in your old phone for credit toward a new phone from the Google Store.
Here's some important info to know about trade-ins through Google Store, or learn more about the Google Fi trade-in program.
Before you trade in
Check your Google Payments profile
First, make sure your Google Payments profile is based in the US. If it isn't, we'll ask you to create one that is based in the US.
Find out if we accept your old phone
Only certain phone models are accepted for trade-in. To get credit for your phone, make sure it’s on this list.
Important: Phones that aren’t reset when we get them will be valued at $0.
Before you send us your old phone, factory reset it.
- Factory reset an Android phone.
- Learn how to reset a phone running Android 8.0 and up.
- Factory reset an iPhone.
Plan for your warranty coverage
- All manufacturer warranties are void for the phone you’re trading in.
- If the phone you’re trading in has device protection from the Google Store, you’ll get a prorated refund.
- We recommend that you cancel all warranties from other providers before you trade in your phone.
Step 1: See your trade-in options
If you trade in your old phone, you can get a refund when you buy a new phone.
- Choose a Pixel phone. Then follow the steps that show.
- On the "Extra services" page, under "Trade-in your phone," tap or click Start trade in, then follow the on-screen instructions. Select details about the phone you’d like to trade in.
- Important: Make sure you can factory reset the phone before you send it to us.
- You’ll see the estimated value for your trade-in. This value remains valid for 30 days from when you begin your trade-in.
- To add the new phone to your cart, tap or click Add to cart.
- Check out to begin your trade in and complete your order.
After you start your trade-in, you’ll get a confirmation email. Then, we’ll send you a kit with a pre-paid envelope so that you can send your old phone to us.
Check the status of your trade-in
You can find the status of your trade-in by selecting "Trade-in details" from your order history.
- Confirmed: You started the trade-in process and got an email confirmation.
- Device assessed: We’ve sent you an email with the value of your old device.
- Canceled: You canceled your trade-in before you got your kit.
Step 2: Send us your old phone
You might want to transfer data from your old phone to your new one before you send it to us.
Using the prepaid envelope we sent you, follow these steps:
- Important: Factory reset your old phone using your manufacturer’s instructions. If you don’t factory reset, we can’t give you full credit for your trade-in.
- Remove the SIM card from your old phone.
- Put the phone in the pre-paid envelope from the trade-in kit and attach the shipping label.
- Ship the phone to us through USPS.
Step 3: Get credit for your trade-in
After we get the phone, we’ll review it within 3 business days.
- If the phone’s value matches the estimate: We’ll credit the value of the phone to your credit card (if you purchase a Pixel).
- If the phone’s value is lower: We’ll credit you the value of the phone if you selected to accept a change in value.
The estimate you see is based on the device specifications and condition you select. We'll do a full valuation when we get your device.
Understand trade-in value assessment
You might see reason why your trade-in value was affected. For more information about these reasons, see below:
Phone doesn’t turn on or off: The phone doesn’t turn on, turn off, or there’s a problem with the charger.
Damaged screen: The screen is cracked, damaged, bruised, missing pixels, or the LCD is dark or burnt out.
Touch screen doesn’t work: The touch screen isn’t responsive.
Phone isn’t factory reset: The phone’s activation lock is still on.
Incorrectly reported phone model: The phone model we received is different from the one you picked.
Phone received more than 30 days after initiation of trade-in
Phone reported lost or stolen
Received package was empty or had miscellaneous item
(Optional) Cancel trade-in
If you don't want to process your trade-in, dispose the Shipping Kit.
If you've already sent your device, you can't cancel the trade-in.
If you return the phone you bought with your trade-in, you'll receive the trade-in value as a Google Store credit in your account.