You can use your custom URL with a site on new Google Sites by creating a web address mapping.
Step 1: Check that you own your URL
- Look under "Properties."
- If you don’t see your URL, click Add a property.
- If you see your URL, move to Step 2.
- Enter your URL.
- Click Continue.
- Follow the onscreen steps.
- Click Verify.
Tip: To use custom URLs, you must be the owner of a site on Google Sites and it must be published. Learn how to publish your Google site.
For your custom URL to map to your site on new Google Sites, you need to create a CNAME entry with your domain host, like Google Domains, GoDaddy, or InMotion.
Tip: These steps may be different depending on your host site. For more help, go to your domain host’s help site.
- Go to your domain host.
- Create a new CNAME entry.
- Enter the subdomain name, for example, the "www" of www.YourURL.com.
- Type in the host name ghs.googlehosted.com. This will point your URL to your Google site.
Step 3: Assign your custom URL
- On your computer, open a site in new Google Sites.
- In the top right corner, click Settings .
- In the “Settings” window, go to Custom URLs.
- Enter your custom URL.
- Click Assign.
Tip: You can add up to 5 URLs to your Google site.
- On a computer, open a site in new Google Sites.
- At the top, click More Custom URLs.
- At the right of the URL, click Trash .
If your custom URL stops working
Your custom URL may stop working if you:
- Delete your Google Site
- Transfer ownership of your site to someone else
- Move your site into a Team Drive
Respond to an error message
If you see the following error messages:
- Invalid DNS: You need to add a CNAME entry. Learn how to point your domain to Google Sites.
- The URL check failed. Please change the URL and try again: Type your custom URL again, and click Assign.
- This isn’t a valid URL: Make sure you typed the full web address with no typos. Your URL must include a subdomain, like "www".
- This URL is already in use by another Google service: This site is already being used by another service like Blogger, Classic Sites, or AppEngine. Delete the existing mapping before assigning your URL to a site on Google Sites.
- This URL is already in use by this site: Your custom URL is already linked to this Google Site.
- This URL is missing its certificate: Delete your custom URL and try to assign it again. Learn how to remove the URL.
- This URL is not verified. Please verify your ownership: Learn how to verify your site.
- You’ve reached the maximum number of URLs for this domain: There is a limit of 20 mappings made per week for your URL.