Video transcoding in the Asset Library
How to transcode videos in your Studio creative
When you upload videos to the Assets tab, Studio automatically encodes a single video file into four resolutions for each available video output format. This is called transcoding. Studio transcodes files into HD 1080p, HD 720p, 480p and 360p for FLV, MP4, and WEBM formats. On iOS devices, videos are automatically served via HTTP Live Streaming (HLS).
- Upload your video to Asset Library. Your video will automatically get transcoded into 11 versions depending on the source file's dimensions. Some smaller dimensions, such as 300x200, may only get transcoded into 360p. For more details, see the File specifications and limits section, below.
- Turn transcodes on for serving by selecting your video in the Asset Library, then flipping the transcodes switch on in the Details panel.
- Add the video to your creative: On the "Creatives" tab, go into your creative and click Add. By clicking Add, you'll pick your video directly from the Asset Library. The video will be listed in the "Type" column as a video bundle
(), which refers to all transcodes as one asset.
- Set the video source in your creative with the Studio Enabler. For example, set the source of an HTML5 video element to
Enabler.getUrl('yoursourcefile.flv').Currently, Studio doesn't support the use of transcoded video source files directly in the video tag. Always use the Enabler to call your video file.
During live serving, Studio will serve the correct video. For example, WEBM file in Chrome, MP4 in Safari. The highest available resolution will be served by default, but you can select a different resolution from the Details panel in Asset Library if you need to reduce your video's file size.File specifications and limits
Formats for transcoding and serving
Studio transcodes and serves uploaded source files that are in the following formats:
Formats for transcoding only
You can also transcode the following formats but they won't be available for serving:
Minimum source dimensions for each transcode format
- *360p: 640x360
- 480p: 854x480
- HD 720p: 1280x720
- HD 1080p: 1920x1080
*The minimum dimensions for 360p is a recommendation: Studio will still generate a 360p transcode even if you upload dimensions below the minimum listed here. The minimum dimensions for 480p, 720p, and 1080p are requirements: Studio will not generate those transcodes if you upload files with lower dimensions.
Uploaded file size limit
You can upload files up to 100 MB but the serving limit is 60 MB. That means that any source video or transcode greater than 60 MB won't serve (publishers may have lower limits).
Output transcode dimensions
|Format||640 x 360||854 x 480||1280 x 720||1920 x 1080|
You'll notice for the FLV format, only two dimensions are provided: 640 x 360 and 854 x 480. If you need higher quality FLV transcodes, you can generate transcodes using your favorite video editing software and upload them to the Assets tab.
Asset Library generates HTTP Live Streaming (HLS) transcodes automatically when you upload your video. HLS dynamically adjusts movie playback quality to match the available speed of wired or wireless networks on iPhones or iPads only.
HLS video playback is automatically enabled for iOS devices. To disable HLS video playback, uncheck the HLS checkbox in your video's Details panel in Studio's Assets tab.
You can view the list of transcodes in the asset's Details panel on the Assets tab. This is also where you can enable transcodes for serving, preview them, download individual transcodes, or download a zip of all transcodes together.
Studio only offers FLV transcodes at 480p and below. If you need a transcode that Studio doesn't automatically create, you'll need to transcode the file yourself and upload it to the Assets tab.
During local creative development, you may want to download and play an individual video transcode from your local drive to see what the final creative will look like at serving time. Follow the steps below:
- Download the video transcode you wish to use for preview by using the download button in the Assets tab Details panel.
- In your creative code, use the Enabler to load the filename of the specific transcode you downloaded.
- Preview your creative locally.
There's no need to change your creative code to point back to the source filename when you're ready to upload your finished creative files in the "Creatives" tab. Studio will detect that the transcode loaded by the creative is part of the transcoded video bundle, and the proper format and resolution will be selected at serving time.