Add custom events in Google Web Designer
Add a counter
A counter lets you track any action in a creative, for example, how many times a user clicked a button or moused over an object.
To add a counter using Google Web Designer:
- Go to the 'Events' panel and click the ‘plus’ ( +) button to assign an event to the object you want.
- In the events pop-up window, select object's instance as the source.
- Select Tap Area then Touch/Click.
- Still in the events pop-up, go to the 'Action' panel and click Google Ad, then Increment counter.
- Go to the 'Receiver' panel and click gwd-ad.
- Go to the 'Configuration' panel enter the Metrics ID you want for tracking purposes.
- (Optional) Select the ‘Is cumulative’ checkbox if you want to track every time someone clicks this button. When ‘Is cumulative’ is unchecked, the counter will only track once per impression. Leaving the this unchecked prevents a single user from clicking multiple times and skewing the metrics.
- Click Save. The tracking code is automatically added in for you based on what you’re specifying, so there’s no need to go through and edit the source code later.
- Preview your ad in your preferred browser.
- Publish the ad to Studio.
Events sent by the Tap Area component
Events are how you connect a physical gesture from your user to an action in your ad. The Tap Area component sends the following event which can be used to trigger other actions: