Create or change your Google+ profile name
Google+ profiles are meant for individuals. That’s why we recommend using your first name and surname on your profile. It will help friends and family find you online and help you connect with people you know.
If you want to use Google+ to represent something like your business, your band, your family or your pet, a Google+ page may work better for you. Learn how to create a Google+ page.
Change your Google+ profile name
Important: Changing your name on Google+ will change it in all Google products, like Gmail and Google Wallet.Android app
- Open the Google+ app > touch your photo in the top left-hand corner.
- Touch the Menu icon/button > Edit name.
- Enter your preferred name > touch Save in the top right-hand corner.
- Open Google+ and select Profile from the drop-down menu in the upper left-hand corner.
- Click your name and then enter your preferred name.
- Click Save in the lower right-hand corner.
You can’t change your name on the mobile web at the moment. Please use the Google+ app or a desktop computer.
- Open the Google+ app > touch the Menu icon in the upper left-hand corner.
- Touch your name at the top of the screen.
- Touch the Gear icon in the upper right-hand corner > Edit name.
- Enter your preferred name > touch Save in the upper right-hand corner.
Important tips for Google+ profile names
When you create or change your Google+ profile name, please bear the following in mind:
- First name and surname recommended: You need to add both a first name and a surname to your Google+ profile. Tip: You can use an initial for one of the names on your profile, but not both. For example, “Larry P.”, but not “L.P”.
- Limited number of name changes: After you've created or edited your name, you may need to wait for up to three months to change it again. It will depend on how recently you created your profile and when you last changed your name.
- Nicknames optional: You can include a nickname together with your first name and surname. For example, John "Jack" Davis or John Davis (Jack).
- No impersonation: Pretending to be someone else could cause your profile to be suspended.
What happens if you can't use the name you want
If you tried to use a name that includes numbers or punctuation, we might share some suggestions for how to change it or ask you to choose a different name. We'll also ask you to choose a new name if you select one that violates our policies or Terms of Service.
If you're having trouble adding a name to your profile, you might be in one of the situations listed below. Please take a look at what went wrong to learn how to fix it.
TroubleshootingYou're trying to create a profile name for something other than a person
The solution: Google+ profiles are meant for people. If you’re trying to create a profile for something like your business, your band, your family or your pet, a Google+ page may work better for you. Pages let you do different things than profiles, like adding several people as the “owner” of the page and getting information about the number of people seeing and interacting with your page.
To create a Google+ page:
- Create a Google+ profile for yourself.
- Create a page for the group that you're representing.
Why it won't work: There are limits to how often you can change your name on Google+.
The solution: You can change your name three times every 90 days. If you've recently changed your name three times, you may need to wait for up to three months to change it again.
Why it won't work: Our system expects you to have two names.
The solution: When you add or edit your name:
- Enter your name as your first name.
- Enter a dot (“.”) as your surname. People won't see this dot in your profile name, they'll just see your first name.
Why it won't work: Some names aren’t allowed. For example, we don't allow names that are too long, include symbols or numbers, or names that violate our Terms of Service.
The solution: Please choose a different name.
Why it won't work: If you're using Google Apps, you may not be allowed to change your name without approval from your administrator.
The solution: Please contact your administrator to request a name change.
Change your YouTube channel name
Learn more about the naming options for your YouTube channel.