Due to high volumes, you may experience long wait times for customer support. We greatly appreciate your patience. For answers to top Pixel 6 and Pixel 6 Pro FAQs, click here.

/pixelphone/community?hl=en
This content is likely not relevant anymore. Try searching or browse recent questions.
Pixel 3 XL Bricked Overnight, Computer Recognizes as QUSB_BULK_CID, Likely Caused by Security Update
My Pixel 3 XL "bricked" overnight and went completely unresponsive.  The usual troubleshooting steps of holding the power button or holding the power+volume-down buttons don't work.  My computer recognizes the device as QUSB_BULK_CID:xxxx_SN:xxxxxxxx.  When I hold the power button for 15s the computer can detect it turning on/off.

Having browsed many forums this seems to be a common issue as of late:

It seems likely that an overnight security update caused this issue.  Is Google aware of these problems and are there any ways to fix this?  I was unable to escalate the problem through the Google Pixel Support Live Chat.
Details
Pinned
Latest Update Latest Updates (0)
Relevant Answer Relevant Answers (1)
Relevant Answer
Bricked; QUSB_BULK_CID issue.
Pixel 3 XL was plugged into charger overnight.
Confirmed phone stopped responding around 9/8/2021 3:30AM based on Android Find My Phone status.

Not rooted, with all automated updates.
Screen unresponsive.
Hard reboot impossible.
Power + volume down or holding power will cause USB connection to PC to detect/disconnect.

When connected to PC via USB:
Device recognized as: Qualcomm HS-USB QDLoader 9008
Bus reported device description: QUSB_BULK_CID {sn redacted}
Current Power State: D0 (fully on state)

The emergency download state is caused by Google software failure, not hardware failure.

This is a widespread failure due to Google's software and owners should NOT be redirected to a repair center for this specific failure without a known proven solution that is applicable nor without compensation or extended warranty for software OS bug induced failure.

The error is KNOWN now (Qualcomm EDL Mode), but a solution is not yet provided.

If NO Android 9 or 10 Pixel 3 phones are affected by the QUSB_BULK CID issue, then owners are owed some form of compensation for bricking CAUSED by Android 11 or associated version update.

Google is aware but has nothing to add, if you hear any news breaking from this, please post on this thread.

https://9to5google.com/2021/09/01/some-pixel-3-devices-are-getting-bricked-by-an-edl-mode-issue/

Thanks,
Jim H.
A Happy Now Saddened Pixel 3 XL Owner

[edit]
repost this tks MrPxTree:
Reminder for anyone experiencing the issue to go over to Pixel 3 bricked while charging overnight - Issue tracker and star the issue.
marked this as an answer
All Replies (153)
Relevant Answer
I am experiencing the same problem with my Pixel 3.
marked this as an answer
Pixel, Android and Accounts.
Relevant Answer
Hi Paul.  If the general troubleshooting procedures outlined in the Help Centre HERE don't work for you and you're unable to enter Recovery (Power + Volume Down) so that you can factory reset, there's nothing more I can suggest, especially if you're unable to use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the Help Centre page.  

Sometimes glitches happen following a major update as it can expose issues that were otherwise latent but these are not common and can usually be overcome but factory resetting.

If you're still unable to contact Google Support, there's a list of authorised repair centres by location HERE to which you could take/send your phone for examination and repair if necessary.

Please let us know how you get on.

Regards, Penny.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Same problem here.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Same issue here, I feel like there are a lot of us in the boat
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Same issue here, Pixel 3 (late commenter) and on latest 11 - not 12 beta.

If this is how Google supports their customers, hello iPhone 12S/13 this Fall.

Such a shame too...I have truly enjoyed my Pixel 3.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Hi User 1175.  You may have missed it but earlier in this thread I posted a link to a list of authorised repair partners to which you could take your phone for examination and repair if possible.

Google Support would point you to the same list whether or not your Pixel 3 is now out of warranty.

I'm not really sure what it is you expect from Google Support but if you do need to speak with an agent you can do so by using the Contact Us link at the bottom of the Help Centre page HERE

Regards, Penny.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Can you point to a repair shop that has access to the Qualcomm EDL-mode Firehose files needed for Pixel 3XL to fix the broken bootloader on my completely stock Pixel 3XL and for hundreds (thousands?) of other people?
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Hi Andy.  I'm just a volunteer here but perhaps either a Google Support agent of one of the authorised repair partners would have some constructive advice for you.

Regards, Penny.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Me too. Suddenly bricked.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Same thing happened here.  Pixel 3 bricked overnight.  Google support wants me to pay to fix because the phone is out of warranty.  If I'm going to have to pay for an update gone bad on a 2 year old phone, I'm just going to switch to iphone.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I experience this issue the morning of August 2, 2021 while phone was on charger overnight. Seems to be happening to many users in the last month and more.

Recommend posting here:

I will try taking to repair centre suggested by Google Support, but not holding out much hope as it this seems to be a corrupted bootloader created by Google's update and they haven't provided the repair centres with the tools to reflash a bootloader in the EDL mode.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
The ubreakifix store I took it too suggested that the problem is the screen, which would cost $385 to repair. (I don't believe this is actually the case with dozens of users getting this problem in the last month or so. If the screen failed only should be able to access adb I would think.)
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Verizon Pixel 3XL did this same thing a few days ago.  Ridiculous we can't get a fix.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
This is utterly ridiculous. It's affecting hundreds of people at this point, this will be my last pixel phone. I'm never buying one again if they can just randomly destroy your phone and not even supply us with the files to fix it ourselves. I upgraded to the OnePlus 8 Pro so I no longer care about mine, but I feel so bad for the people that continue to be screwed by google.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
same thing happened to mine a few days ago. Bricked overnight. I am mainly interested in getting my data back and wondering if there is any way I can get that?
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Reading in a number of other forums, this is looking like a widespread issue. Completely bricking a decent number of Pixel 3 & 3xl devices with a bad update. There's been very little word from google, android or support. 

They better be looking into a fix into this or it is going to turn into a much larger issue for them.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Installed Android 11 update while Pixel 3XL was on charging stand. Now it won't come on. Holding power button does nothing. Same with power button plus volume down.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I am also now part of the bricked Pixel 3 club. My phone is two years old and was working perfectly. I plugged it in to charge overnight and woke up to the black screen. Same situation with my computer detecting the phone in EDL mode when plugged into usb and holding down power. Other than that, it's a paperweight. And of course, Google and retailers r all completely out of stock on pixel 5s. What a screw up this is Google. Class action law suit is written all over this.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Same problem here. Happened 2 weeks ago when the phone was just sitting doing nothing. Changed to battery for good measure and still nothing. My Pixel 3XL was working just fine before this.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Just happened to my Pixel3, dead with just QUSB_BULK_CID showing up on on windows device manager.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
The same Here QUSB_BULK - this is how Windows PC now recognizes my PIXEL 3.
Black screen and no response.
How to get back not normal functioning from this EDL mode?
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Just happened to me as well this morning. The phone was 100% charged and plugged in this morning I used it to check the incoming hurricane, I double-check the charge because we are worried about losing power. Unplugged put it in my pocket and 10 minutes later I tried to use it and it was totally unresponsive.
If this is an update problem Google needs to sort this out ASAP. BTW phone was completely stock.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
(edit) So this is insane. Just to start, I have work related authenticators on that phone where I cant access certain programs without exactly said phone. What the F Google!!

--Happened to me as well. Pixel 3 XL bought on launch day 3 years ago. All stock, never had an issue until 3 days ago. had an update pending for a day, so finally let it do its thing and bam, dead phone. woke up at 4am 8/20/21 and it was dead. Plug into PC and device name is QUSB_BLK like everyone else. 

Originally I thought I toast the battery and so I bought a battery replacement kit...glad I found out the device name and googled that before tearing open the phone. It wouldn't have fixed the problem if it was bricked to begin with...
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Happened to me too. Pixel 4 XL. All the same symptoms. It is not the screen, which is the only thing that ubreakifix stores can do. This is a problem for google.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Exact same thing happened to me this morning. Woke up, went to check my phone and it is completely unresponsive. When I plug it into my pc it recognizes it as QUSB_BULK_CID:
Pixel 3 XL
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Same problem here.  Bricked Pixel 3XL.  I was looking forward to getting a Pixel 6, but I don't know now.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Hey all, quick update

Been emailing back & forth with google support, their support has been less than fine. The only solution I was given was this link https://flash.android.com/welcome . Important to note I wasn't given any instructions with the link. Just the link and I was expected to figure out the rest.

I'll allow the users here to realise why this wont work, but safe to say google or their support teams are doing their best to avoid acknowledging the issue.

Has anyone here had any luck with communicating with the google support team?
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Also have same thing. My pixel 3xl suddenly bricked. It was just during phone call. It restarted and newer turn on. Now i send it to local repair center. will wait for their answer. Hope someone from google read this topic...
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Same here! Went to bed with a phone, woke up with a brick. No previous issues or damage on my end. The only sign of life is my phone shows up as QUSB_BULK_CID: (not Pixel 3 like it used to) when I plug it into my computer.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
My Pixel 3 died in April with the same symptoms. There are really many reportings about this and it can't be the solution to just buy a new one. Really considered to wait for Pixel 6...but now I really am afraid, that I am left alone from Google with problems such as these.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
My Pixel 3 bricked last Friday (Aug 27th) out of nowhere. Just won't turn on. PC detects it as QUSB_BULK_CID....
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I think I have the same issue
My Pixel 3 was stuck in fast reboot mode and nothing I did could get it to access.
I left the battery run out and tried plugging it in but still the situation persisted.  I did take it to a repair shop and they opened it up took out the battery and reset the battery and then the phone became active again and it was no longer in fast boot mode. 

I hope that helps for anybody out there
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Mine just bricked also. Woke up and totally black with no buttons working. It sees a charge. It's the exact same as everyone here.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Good morning, I got this issue a few weeks ago (went ahead and bought a new Pixel 3). Thought my phone was dead, saw an article Android Police yesterday and checked this morning. Behold, phone is not dead I am getting the same QUSB_BULK_CID message when I plug the old Pixel 3 into my laptop. It does not respond to buttons and the screen stays black. Google, please help or provide a fix.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I made a comment on here yesterday that I was experiencing something similar but mine was the fast boot mode screen.  

I wanted to correct a phrasing that I used yesterday

When I brought it to the repair facility they told me that how they fixed it was by opening the phone up removing the battery then RESEATING the battery not resetting.

I hope that helps everyone on here

It's been about 2 weeks since I've been at the repair facility and my phone has not gone back into fast boot mode
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I'm still getting stonewalled by googles support staff.
Other news though, Widespread issue is causing the Pixel 3 and Pixel 3 XL to get bricked, this issue may start to gain some traction.

Reminder for anyone experiencing the issue to go over to Pixel 3 bricked while charging overnight - Issue tracker and star the issue.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Warranty or no warranty - Google CAUSED a perfectly working phone to no longer work. 

If Google doesn't resolve this for us out-of-warranty owners, I will NEVER purchase another Google product.

Simply directing us to an "authorized repair center" and expect us to just pay out of pocket is unacceptable in this situation.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
My Pixel 3 did the same thing. It was totally stock, not rooted, stable android 11, and last week it stopped responding. I plugged it in and after google it's definitely in EDL mode. Wonderful. Thanks for taking my property and ruining it Google
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
This happened to me last year, I ended up having to purchase a new phone online through Verizon (LG Velvet 5G). My pixel 3 is still on top of my fridge, I occasionally plug it in to get to the EDL mode (now that I have a name for it...) I've tried contacting google support for it and got nowhere. I don't hate my Velvet although LG just left the cell phone market. After seeing the 5a and its specs being similar I would have waited until it came out had my 3 continued working until this year. now I feel stuck for another year with my LG Velvet because I'm only halfway done paying. But I feel a little vindicated now knowing I didn't fuck up my phone by sleeping on it, and I've read that the 5a is having some heat issues if you record in 4k 60fps for more that 30 seconds-3 mins. or 4k at 120fps (I think those numbers are correct) so now I think I'm going to suck it up and finish off my 2 year agreement and maybe next September there will be a android update/price cut on the 5a or 6 or 6 pro.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Happened to me as well a few months ago.  Phone was on the counter playing bluetooth music when all the sudden the music stopped and screen was black.  Never turned on again.  I took great are of the phone and to have it just brick like that sucks.  My ex had the exact same problem with her XL as well just 2 weeks ago.  This is definitely an issue that needs to be addressed
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Happened a few days ago here, sent it in for a repair and google support told me to go F myself (basically.) Even after I escalated the "high tier" support tech told me the same thing. That the pixel repair team can do no wrong and I only had the two options. (should also mention this was after explaining my situation for 2.5 hours to 5 people.)
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Yeah, my phone became just a black brick overnight. It just died. I got a replacement one that I'm going runs at least until the 6 pro. Rumor is there going to be providing longer, hopefully better, support for those.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I've got the same issue as well. Woke up and my phone was off, never to turn back on... Looking forward to seeing resolution from google
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
guess i'll just buy a new phone since i'm out of warranty. but its not gonna be a google phone. who in their right mind is going to buy a "flagship" pixel 6 that can be nuked remotely after 1 year and be told you're SOL by the manufacturer? disgusting.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
My Pixel 3 bricked on Friday (out of Warranty). Thought it was totally broken so bought a new Pixel 3 (cos it was cheap) just to tide me over until the Pixel 6 comes out.

I just found out today it's likely an update issue so I'm really pissed off I just went and bought another model that's exactly the same and likely to have the same issue. If this one bricks, I definitely won't be buying a Pixel 6 or any other Google phone ever again. 

Come on Google. Tell us what is going on, tell us how to avoid this, and tell us how to fix it
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
My daughter's pixel 3 phone had this exact issue in May 2021.  We went thru all the recommended repair steps, took it to our local authorized repair facility, It's not the screen, the battery, the charging port.  Though it matches the failures described here perfectly.  They couldn't fix it at all. Google disappointed me on this one.  My daughter saved for about a year to be able to buy this phone.... Then in just over a year it failed.  And no recourse, no concern.  Sad, really sad.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Exact same issue happened to my pixel 3XL back in April and my wife's pixel 3XL a month ago... In each case the phone was plugged in over night and the next morning it was completely unresponsive. By plugging it into a PC I could recognize the device but nothing else. Called Google and they told us there was nothing they could do and we had to get new phones... We love android and enjoy the pixel phones. It is disappointing to this happen others as well.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Same issue here
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Had the same issue happen a few weeks ago with my Pixel 3 XL. Purchased another one, not realizing it was a widespread issue, and now I'm worrying the same will happen to the one I just bought. This really needs a resolution - I was planning to coast on my OG Pixel 3 XL until the 6 Pro dropped, but if Google isn't going to stand by their product, I'll look elsewhere for my replacement.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Same exact issue occurred with my Pixel 3 while charging overnight about one month ago.

Google has been bricking thousands of out of warranty (but in perfectly good working condition) Pixel phones during overnight update for several months and they refuse to even acknowledge it. 

This has class action lawsuit written all over it.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Same here, went through Google support, told me nothing they could do, take it to their authorized repair shop. Repair shop told me they'd have to replace the motherboard. They also told me they are seeing a lot of these and GOOGLE KNOWS ABOUT IT. I've been a dedicated Google user for years. Just bought a Samsung.  Won't come back unless they acknowledge and address.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Exactly the same thing happened to my Pixel 3 XL last year around July/August. Haven't had ANY success with Google.

People suggesting class action will find out there's no recourse since (at least in the US), you've already waived your right to class action suits and instead solve the issue through arbitration. (You had 30 days to opt out of this clause on initial purchase - https://www.androidpolice.com/2018/10/22/ou-can-easily-opt-googles-binding-arbitration-agreement-pixel-3/ - funny how they don't tell you anything about this or make it clear and instead choose to hide it in paragraphs of ToS and EULAs)
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
same here on P3XL with Beta 12 about 3 weeks ago.  No symptoms of any issues up until I plugged it in before bed and it didnt work at all the next morning.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
The device was fine until your OTA ruined like the hundreds of other Pixel 3's.

See your own threads:

Hundreds of your customers are being screwed by this. I will continue to spread the word so people don't buy your Pixel devices.

Others out of warranty have been given refurbished phones as this is the right thing to do since you're responsible for breaking these devices with no due fault of the end users.

Here is so more  reference to what is happening to me and hundreds of others.

There is more I could send you, all published within the past few days. You are leaving us all little choice but to bring legal action against Google.

Sent this to Google support after 6 hours back and forth with them just insisting there is nothing they can do. They are denying there is a problem and the moral of the story is to not buy Google products as they will screw you and then try to make you pay for it. Contact consumer investigators on local news and your state AG offices. Hold them to the fire.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Here's Google's response when provided evidence this happening to us. They don't give a damn about their customers after they destroy your device.

Hi Leo,
Thanks for contacting Google Support Team.
I apologize for the inconvenience. I can't comment on six months ago issue tracker links and third party sites. I have provided you with the best available options to repair the device. Since Google is the manufacturer on record for Pixel phones, when a Pixel phone is out of warranty:
Appreciate your time and patience.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
It append to my Pixel 4a in February, I've tried to reflash android but nether work, I had to factory reset.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
So it's in the news today how all of these Pixel 3XLs all got bricked in the middle of the night during a security update and Google is just shrugging their shoulders and telling us to go buy a new phone. Sounds like a class action lawsuit to me.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Read quite a few of these posts along with multiple android forums from xda to android police ars Technica and others I think google do know what the problem is and are trying to fix this but at the same time say nothing resulting in angry customers owners myself take today nothing but rude p*ss taking complete lack of support via pixel support as others who have posted here I think the best course of action is legal google as a company will continue this behavior when they have known about this in pixel 3s for months and over a year with the pixel 4/xl if you can have a live chat with them screenshot all of it and post it here or anywhere so google learn to provide actual customer support i
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I'm not sure if this will help anyone but I had something similar my pixel was stuck in a Fast Boot Loop.

I couldn't put it into safety mode none of the menu features worked as soon as I let go of the buttons when I went into the menus it would just boot up again.

I finally brought it to a local cell phone dealer who removed the battery and then reseated the same battery and the boot loop stopped.

Going on 3 weeks now and it has not returned.  

I hope this helps
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
My phone bricked on August 2. Only sign of life is the QUSB_BULK_CID detected by windows device manager.

Google Support not of any help since the phone is out of warranty. UBreakIFix, did a pitiful 5 second look at the phone and suggested a $400 screen repair, which does not appear would resolve the issue. (Was tried with at least one users, who wasn't going to be charged up front, and it did not resolve the issue.)

What is Google doing to investigate the issue affecting many users?
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I had the same experience, a bricked phone.
marked this as an answer
This question is locked and replying has been disabled.
Discard post? You will lose what you have written so far.
Write a reply
10 characters required
Failed to attach file, click here to try again.
Discard post?
You will lose what you have written so far.
Personal information found

We found the following personal information in your message:

This information will be visible to anyone who visits or subscribes to notifications for this post. Are you sure you want to continue?

A problem occurred. Please try again.
Create Reply
Edit Reply
This will remove the reply from the Answers section.
Notifications are off
Your notifications are currently off and you won't receive subscription updates. To turn them on, go to Notifications preferences on your Profile page.
Report abuse
Google takes abuse of its services very seriously. We're committed to dealing with such abuse according to the laws in your country of residence. When you submit a report, we'll investigate it and take the appropriate action. We'll get back to you only if we require additional details or have more information to share.

Go to the Legal Help page to request content changes for legal reasons.

Reported post for abuse
Unable to send report.
What type of post are you reporting?
Google takes abuse of its services very seriously. We're committed to dealing with such abuse according to the laws in your country of residence. When you submit a report, we'll investigate it and take the appropriate action. We'll get back to you only if we require additional details or have more information to share.

Go to the Legal Help page to request content changes for legal reasons.

Reported post for abuse
Unable to send report.
This reply is no longer available.
/pixelphone/threads
//accounts.google.com/ServiceLogin
You'll receive email notifications for new posts at
Unable to delete question.
Unable to update vote.
Unable to update subscription.
You have been unsubscribed
Deleted
Unable to delete reply.
Removed from Answers
Removed from Updates
Marked as Recommended Answer
Marked as Update
Removed recommendation
Undo
Unable to update reply.
Unable to update vote.
Thank you. Your response was recorded.
Unable to undo vote.
Thank you. This reply will now display in the answers section.
Link copied
Unlocked
Unable to lock
Unable to unlock
Pinned
Unpinned
Unable to pin
Unable to unpin
Marked
Unmarked
Unable to mark
Reported as off topic