You can connect your phone to a mobile network with an active nano SIM card or eSIM. Without one, you’ll see a “No SIM card” message.
Note: Some of these steps work only on Android 11 and up. Learn how to check your Android version.
All Pixel phones can use nano SIM cards. Some Pixel phones can also use eSIM.
If you buy a Pixel phone on the Google Store:
- In the US, you can pick no SIM card or a pre-inserted Verizon SIM card. If Verizon is your mobile carrier, activate your SIM card on their site.
- In other countries, your phone doesn't come with a SIM card.
Use a SIM
- To get a nano SIM card, contact your mobile service provider. If you're asked for your phone's IMEI number, learn where to see your IMEI number.
- You can move your current phone's nano SIM card to your phone instead of getting a new one.
Some phones can use eSIM, depending on the phone and mobile carrier. For details, check with your carrier.
- Pixel 4 and later: All phones work with eSIM.
- Pixel 3a: Phones bought with Verizon service or in Japan don't work with eSIM.
- Pixel 3: Phones bought with service from any US or Canadian carriers other than Sprint and Google Fi don't work with eSIM. Phones bought in Australia, Taiwan, and Japan also don't work with eSIM.
- Pixel 2: Only phones bought with Google Fi service work with eSIM.
- Pixel (2016): No phones work with eSIM.
With your phone off:
- Into the small hole on the phone's left edge, insert the SIM ejection tool.
Tip: On Pixel 3 (2018), the SIM card slot is on the phone's bottom edge.
- Firmly but gently push until the tray pops out.
- Remove the tray and put the nano SIM card in the tray.
- Gently push the tray back into its slot.
You may need to restart your phone to get mobile service. To restart a phone that's on, press the power button for about 3 seconds. Then tap Restart .
Important: Some Pixel phones have 2 IMEI numbers. If you see 2 IMEIs, IMEI1 is usually paired with the first SIM you set up with your phone. To confirm, check with your mobile carrier.
To find your phone’s IMEI number, check:
- Your phone's box.
- Your phone's SIM card tray.
- Your phone's Settings app.
- Tap About phone, then look for "IMEI."
- Google Find My Device. At the top left, tap your phone. Then tap Information .
Tip: Take a photo of your IMEI number or write it on your paper Quick Start Guide.
Find an EID number
To find your phone’s EID number, check:
- Your phone’s box.
- Your phone’s Settings app: Tap About phone SIM status. Then look for “EID.”
To find your phone’s EID QR code:
- Open your Settings app.
- Tap Network & internet.
- Next to “Mobile network,” tap Download a SIM instead?.
- Tap Next Activating in a store?.